Going through starters

I have a 12 volt converted '65 bug. Help, I go through a starter every two years. The starter will spin without turning the engine over. Any clues on what causes this?

-thanks.

Reply to
cook.julie

Most likely cause is a worn bushing (in the bellhousing).

You need to answer these questions:

Although converted to 12V, was:

1) The flywheel changed to 12V? 2) Starter changed to 12V? 3) Bushing changed to the special conversion bushing?

If yes, you may want to buy a starter for the autostick engine. They're 12V and don't rely on a bushing for shaft support.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

IF YOU GO TO A MECHANIC HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIX YOUR CAR,HOPE THIS HELPS

Reply to
vwinformationejaculator

Thanks for the suggestion. I have taken my bug to VW mechanics and they replace the starter and the bushings. And about two years later...starter spins again. I think the problem is with the flywheel, just not sure what to look for.

Reply to
cook.julie

It *can* be a worn flywheel. With the starter removed, you can inspect the teeth on the flywheel.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim