HT leads...[was..Re: Astra 1.4 petrol....really annoying problem.]

Hi,

I'm sure people are really interested :-], but I changed the HT leads on my Astra and it made a world of difference. [Note to self: back to basics to begin with before you go on a 'guessing spree']. The guy I bought it from said he'd changed the HT leads, and to be fair they didn't look antiquated, but were obviously not carrying the charge properly - as detected by removing each plug lead in turn and listening for the change in engine noise.

I'm still not convinced it's running to an optimum level of performance, but at least it's driveable now!

Ta again.

Garry

Reply to
garryb59

Have you checked the spark plugs?

I had one of these in with very similar symptoms a few months back, and it turned out to be worn plugs (I'm sure they'd never been changed in the life of the car). Worn plugs would also put more strain on the HT leads, so you've maybe only masked the problem by only changing the HT leads.

Reply to
moray

ok, point taken, I did change the plugs when I first got the car, but I'll check again now.

cheers Garry

Reply to
garryb59