Vauxhall Astra Problem

I have a Vauxhall Astra P-reg 1.6 GLS 16v. Over the last few weeks or so it has started mis-firing the car does have plenty of power once you get the revs up but feels lumpy because of it. Two weeks ago i put in some new spark plugs but the problem remains. Last Febuary some new ht leads were put in but they weren't the ones from the main dealer because of the cost at the time, these ones were cheap costing £43 for a full set compared to Vauxhalls £136.

Is it possible that it is the ht leads at fault? One other thing i have noticed which has been going on for over a year is that on the odd occasion i go to start the car, it starts but then stops and then the engine management light flashes continously until i re-start the car, it can happen three to four times in a row then the engine stays on without problems, this problem has been going on long before the mis-firing. This problem is very intermittant and no engine mangement light comes on when driving. Does anyone know what either problem could be or if they are possibly related?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

du.

Reply to
du

Firstly never use 'cheap' pattern HT leads. These could still be at the route of your problem.

Firms such as AutoVaux (web) sell the correct OE quality leads at alot less than your dealer.

I wouldnt be running the car for toooo long in this state with it misfiring as you'll soon knacker the catalyst and be looking at alot more than $136 to rectify that!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

It's possible that the HT leads are still at fault, but unlikely. I would look at head gasket/valve problems.

First thing is to get a compression test carried out.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Change the leads, then think about the ECU. Whatever you do, don't take it to Masterfit! I took my car in and they carried out unauthorised work claiming it was required for the MOT. VOSA say it wasn't required for the MOT. They took the back brakes apart and cleaned & adjusted them - but adjusted them and the handbrake incorrectly so the rear brakes grind when applied at 40mph+. They also charged for a new air and fuel filter, the air filter was the OLD one as they hadn't changed it, the same for the fuel filter. They overfilled the oil level by 400ml. Masterfir took the car back and refused to fix the problems they caused and refused to give a refund for the parts they lied about changing. The excess oil was drained off. Complaints to the manager were ignored until the head office was contacted and Trading Standards give them a call. If anyone would like to know which Lookers/Masterfit this was I will post the details as it's in the Merseyside area. While I was waiting to get the car back there were two other customers complaining about overcharging and one about a CD that was stuck by a mechanic. I have found that Masterfit has moved to the lower level of garages like the quicker/faster fit type places. Just think, charging for bits not changed makes a tidy income. My car was used as part of a "service project" to identify dealers ripping people off and all the parts were labelled and dated. The car was inspected before and after. Caught them out fair and square - they didn't even replace the old bits when given a second chance.

Reply to
Colin

I've had 2 problems with the Vauxhall 'dealer'

1 - Engine cutting out and refusing to start, I reckoned that the engine had about had it, as to much oil was being sucked back in from the crankcase, and refusing to fire up. Masterfit as being the experts should be able to tell me. No, they could not tell me the reason for the refusal to start or whether the engine had had it.

2 - Being charged for 2 radiator temperature switches. One has a plug on the end of the end the other one did not. Both were booked out of the stores to check which one I needed ?? I was charged for both. I got my money back thou.

3 - My 4x4 developed a 4x4 warning light problem. I narrowed it down to the brake switch being faulty. I took the details from off the old switch and ordered anew one. Fitted the new one only to find the problem was still there. Checked on the switch, and found I was given a different one. Took the new switch back and I was accused of lying and swooping the switches about. Not happy with this one, as they refused to pay up.

So I will not be going to Masterfit if I can help it.

Reply to
the pilot

There have been many many problems with some 1.6 16v ECU's (one of the Simtec ECU's - 56.1 OTOH- too much vodka last night) which causes strange drivability problems, and stalling, BUT NOT misfiring.

You definately have either an HT problem or possibly sticking valves,. - This would more than likely appear soon after cold start, get worse causing very poor slow speed running, stalling, difficulty in restarting, then vanish as the car warmed up.

If you tell us if the misfire is on one cylinder only or random it would help.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I have have pulled off the leads of every spark plug in turn listening for a drop in revs and they all do. On Saturday had a guy who has a garage test the leads using what i think was an ht lead tester all of the leads glowed, but does that prove anything? i'm not so sure.

When the car is turned on it sounds ok for what seems like 30 seconds then starts mis-firing, it doesnt matter whether the car is cold or hot mis-firing still occurs. I do have to point at that the car does go once the revs are up but you can still feel and hear the mis-firing, but the car never ever stalls at all, would it defintely stall if it was sufferring from sticking valves?

how can i tell if the mis-fire is on one cylinder or random?

Reply to
du

Hmm souonds abit like sticking valves to me! What oil is in the car, and has it been recently changed? (and the problem started) What sort of use does this car get and how is it usually driven??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Right now the oil that is in the car is a GM brand. The oil was changed on Saturaday, prior to that it was changed about 6 months before that. The car is used everyday really not very long trips as such but frequent journeys are made in it.

Today when driving to work the engine management light came on, I know i will have to get the fault code read, but do you think it's possible that a faulty DIS module could cause mis-firing?

Reply to
du