54 plate Clio 1.2: cambelt and clutch

No2 son has his beady eyes set on a very cheap 54 plate 1.2 Clio from a friend's dad. I went to give it a once over for him prior to any real negotiations taking place. Very tidy cosmetically despite the high mileage (135k). Downside is that the only record of it ever having been serviced is a receipt from 2008! No stamps in the book other than the PDI from the dealership. It sounds sweet and looks straight and honest though. No chav regalia of any sort (yet). Discs and pads look rough but these are pretty cheap too. So first thing is cambelt and waterpump I suppose. Costly to have done or a DIY job? Access doesn't look too bad and a kit of parts seem cheap(ish). The clutch bites very high so I'm thinking it may be the original so worth doing soon. Again very cheap parts. Any gotchas or should I just stcik it in an independant garage to do the work? Thanks for any advice. JB

Reply to
JB

Autodata says 2.1 hours for a cam belt change. Replacement interval is

72k miles/5 years. One special tool is needed; a timing pin. The tensioner must be replaced at the same time. It looks reasonably easy.

Clutch replacement time is listed as 6 hours. I personally wouldn't buy a car if the clutch was slipping, but maybe a high biting point is a characteristic of the model. It might be worth trying another before you decide.

I certainly wouldn't replace a clutch 'just in case'.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The clutch doesn't slip but it's obviously well worn. At the the bite point, I could touch my chin with knee ;>)

6hrs is not my idea of saturday fun with no ramps or pit here. if he does buy it, I may farm that job out when it fails. The cambelt I'll do myself I think. Also do the waterpump at the same time for the minimal extra cost. I thank you Sir.

JB

Reply to
JB

FWIW, a friend has one of similar mileage/age. Still drives very nicely, but has had a number of problems with the immobiliser and ignition system that seem difficult to solve.

Reply to
RJH

If it comes to that, I'll disable the immobiliser and/or fit my own ignition system. These aren't that complicated. At least there's no bloody CAN bus like the VWs.

Reply to
JB

Snip: The clutch bites very high so I'm thinking it may be the original so worth doing soon. Again very cheap parts.

Snip: The clutch doesn't slip but it's obviously well worn. At the the bite point, I could touch my chin with knee ;>)

I'm no mechanic or any such expert, but is this actually a good indication of clutch wear?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Well he did as I suggested and put in an outrageous offer (he did say he was so embarassed doing it, and why didn't I ever look so when I bought a vehicle?). Scored it for 300. So cambelt, tensioner, waterpump and discs/pads and hes sorted for an MOT. The clutch can come later when/if it fails. I really must buy an ELM327 scan tool for it (assuming that is the correct flavour these days). I only have my old VAG-COM tool and BMW specific diags kit now. Never had a French car in the household . JB JB

Reply to
JB