I know it's a Fiat, but ....

Why does changing a light bulb involve taking out the fuse box? Really poor design.

Reply to
GB

design style before practicality. many modern cars are like it. just one of the many reasons I prefer older , simpler cars.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I think that they moved the fuse box when they added ABS, and they stuck the fuse box right behind the headlight on the nearside. Piss poor contempt for their customers.

Reply to
GB

I have a 54 plate volvo v70

have to remove whole front bumper and grill assembly then the headlight itself to change off side headlight bulb

on all my prevoius cars I would carry spare bulbs as I could change one at the roadside in a couple of minutes

doesn't seem worth bothering now

Regards

Reply to
TMC

I wonder what happens in countries where it is a requirement that you carry spare bulbs and must change them if told to do so? I believe France had this rule. It would obviously be impossible to enforce on many modern cars.

I recently had to entirely replace the headlamps on an Avensis, a previous bodger had fitted new bulbs, but had failed to get them right into the lamp (very poor access) because the reflector is plastic the hole had melted and come mot time there was no beam pattern, the only fix was two new lamps. Bumper off time, not my favourite sort of job.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , TMC writes

I carry spare bulbs and fuses for the Mondeo, but I was glancing through the handbook and after reading instructions for changing a headlamp bulb I'm not sure I'd bother doing it myself. Not as bad as the Volvo, but I've had the bulbs a few years and they're probably the wrong type, except for the stop, tail and flashers...

Reply to
Gordon H

even those are all change these days, indicator bulbs now have different peg designs and may be amber coloured. Tail light bulbs come in at least half a dozen sorts , brake light again are many different types, and of course volvo running lights are another story. and when I saw the reverse bulbs on a late mondeo..................aaaargh

Reply to
Mrcheerful

flat bladed knife to remove bumper trims, 13mm socket for bumper bolts, ?? torx for fixings inside wheel arch, small screwdriver for centres on plastic clips top and bottom, decent torch, blanket or cushions to drop bumper on to, cannot remember socket/torx size for headlamp fixings but think were different top to side

And only likely at the moment to go to France in the winter for snowboarding so nice warm hi vis jacket

Hmmmm

Reply to
TMC

So, even reputable manufacturers are this poor? Shocking!.

Reply to
GB

Uh-oh! I'll keep them in the car as a token gesture in case I get stopped for a failed bulb. At least I've got a selection of fuses, and they changed them to mini ones, as I found out the last time I blew one...

Reply to
Gordon H

Really?? I have an 04 plate v70 which is straightforward to change the bulbs. I know there was a minor facelift on the 54 plate ones, but didn't think much had changed around the headlight area.

Is there not a plastic cap on the back of the headlight that you turn about

30 degrees, then remove to reveal the bulb - accessible by a few fingers?
Reply to
AlanD