I want to pop an air bag

I need to fire a couple of seat mounted airbags.

I will buy seats from a vehicle dismantler - find a couple of wires that look as if they may be going to an air bag, stand well back and whack 12 volts down them. Result should be a loud POP and air bag deployed.

Has anyone out there tried this? Any suggestions (other than Don't Do It)? Anyone have a source of information on how to do this (the manufacturers are very coy about handing out this type of info)?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Reply to
Laurence

Have fun but you're going to have a long wait.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Why a long wait? These devices are triggered by accelerometers sensing a strong G force which in turn fire a 12 volt 500 millamp charge down a simple pos and neg wire. Since first posting I have some feedback from manufacturers and now have two seats with air bags fitted and we will build a simple test rig and see what happens.

Reply to
Laurence

Perhaps you should video it. You can then run it in slow motion and really see what happens.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Beware of the fine white powder which seems to get everywhere.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Obvious question.. why?

title says 'want', initial post says 'need'.

Just curious (as, perhaps, are you).

Are you doing any high-speed filming of this? be curious to see it.

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

It can also irritate the skin, and eyes.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

I doubt if it's just a straight 12v dc feed. It would be too easy for a short-circuit in the wiring to cause false deployment.

JOhn

Reply to
John

Shush now.

Reply to
Duncanwood

You may well be right. Certainly Mr Duncanwood seeems to think you are but I remain confident. Actually I have no choice as no-one has suggested an alternative. This is being written at 09:07. By mid afternoon I will know for sure because I expect to have fired two by then. After these initial two we will run a series of eight further deployments which will be filmed, some of them with a high speed camera. It all promises to be fun.

Reply to
Laurence

We are hoping to get some high speed footage but the cost of this seems to be spectacular. I would have been happy with a high speed consumer digital camcorder but I'm not sure such things exist. Not quite so confident now I have examined the gas generator and seat wiring but have convinced all around me that I know what I'm doing. I will let you know the outcome.

Reply to
Laurence

Laurence ( snipped-for-privacy@townandcountrycovers.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Make sure your colleagues know where to tell us, just in case...

Reply to
Adrian

Yes John, thats exactly what it turned out to need. Didn't have a car battery so hooked two small 6 volt dry cells up together to give us 12 volts and attached wires to any plugs I found under the seat. First two I chose BANG. Simple as that. If you had your face too near it there is no doubt it could break your neck but as long as you are a couple of feet away and there are no loose things hanging about its all pretty easy. I guess the only safety to prevent unintentional deployment is very clever software inside the deployment controller. After that it's all down to making sure you don't put any live 12v wires under the seat. I have read of them being deployed by static and certainly we took care to dischare any static in the wires before hooking them up. Got the whole office down to watch and just before I touched the wires onto the battery some joker fired off a party popper. There's always one, isn't there?

Reply to
Laurence

The white powder is only talc or chalk powder I believe, to stop the bag sticking itself during prolonged periods of being compressed.

I can understand how it might irritate the eyes, but how so the skin?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Laurence ( snipped-for-privacy@townandcountrycovers.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You mean like electric seat adjustment, or heated seats or even CD changers mounted under the seats...?

Reply to
Adrian

Or Amplifiers with pretty beefy wiring and high ampage?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Yeah - good point.

Reply to
Laurence

That's why they have it in an airbag that gets slapped in your face, to itch you right up! Don't be silly son. I've had an airbag in the face and I walked away looking a bit like casper, that was it.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

You irritate my skin and eyes.

Reply to
Doki

Are you sure they're not like airbags, and need an AC trigger before they'll go off?

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith