Identify part of fuel system!

1998 Pug 106 1124cc Petrol.

Noticing a smell of petrol when I park the car, I looked for the source. I could see a lot of moisture on the bottom of the fuel tank, seemingly originating from the corner of the tank, where there is a .... what? I wish I knew because I broke off one of the connectors and can't fix it.

It's not the fuel filter, that is elsewhere. It's the white container these two hoses run to in this picture

Also
's at the bottom right corner near the "6370" writing. WTF is it so I can see about replacing it! Google produces almost nothing after searching for what I presume are the part nos. 96 117

117 80 and 96 117 118 80.
Reply to
Mark

Mark was thinking very hard :

Not saying it is, but could it be something to do with the purge system?

That pipe looks worn through where it crosses the lower one BTW - it might explain the smell.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Er, sorry, I should have said that photo isn't mine, it's simply to illustrate the point.

Also, the container rattles almost like there's a marble inside. Someone on the 106Owner forums reckons it's a roll over valve(?), but that's the only mention I can find of one, and the Haynes book makes no mention at all!

Reply to
Mark

part of the fuel tank :(

Reply to
Redstar

That would make sense. In the event of the car being upside down, the

*marble* will fall to what should have been the top, and stop the fuel leaking out of the vent.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Is it a one-way valve to prevent fuel going the wrong way down the return line? I remember something similar on a Scirocco I had.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Although it contained fuel when I broke it, the car runs fine without the (whatever it is. Rollover valve?). SO I guess, while it seems to be part of the fuel system, it isn't critical. The car runs without it connected. If a replacement is hard to get / stupidly expensive, I'd be tempted to bypass it altogether!

Reply to
Mark

If anyone is following this, I have taken some photos above. The third one shows the innards of the container!

There is a ball in a cage, which would move up (or down if the car was inverted) and block the upper outlet. THis leads me to think it's a roll-over valve.

Interestingly the Pug dealer here doesn't know, and just said it's part of the fuel tank and not available separately.

Although there is the side issue of the car running fine with the thing not connected - only one hose is on, the other blanked off for now!

Reply to
Mark

Yep same as the saxo`s part of the fuel tank

Reply to
Redstar

The page is private, according to what I see.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat
[...]

+1

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Wierd, I can't see any privacy settings!

Reply to
Mark