ign curves

Nedavno Pete M napisa:

Thank you. So ignition curve looks like straight line. This is total advance (static + centrifugal), right?

What puzzled me is that when I measured the movement for the vacuum advance and than calculated how much degrees it moved I got the right value - 15 deg. Movement for the centrifugal advance came as 30 deg (all values at crankshaft).

But with timing light centrifugal advance was max ~20 deg at ~4000 rpm.

Again thank you for this data, I can now create new, CORRECT ignition map.

Reply to
Yvan

No worries.

Reply to
Pete M

since the original system ran on petrol, I would bet that the ideal ignition map for lpg is not quite the same as for petrol . it needs setting up on a dyno. or some careful guesswork.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Just give it a shit load more initial advance and it'll be fine :-)

Reply to
Pete M

Nedavno Pete M napisa:

As I understand I need more advance at low rpm, and less at high. I got few recommendation's from Australian newsgroup not to go over 28-30 deg mechanical advance over 3000 rpm.

Since I have 18 deg at 1000 rpm for petrol I think that I will not go much higher.

While I was searching for ignition curve for my distributor I've looked at lot of curves, and it seems that mos of them start at ~8 deg initial advance. In these cases you would add ~6 deg for LPG.

And that's why 18 looks a bit too high. So if I add ~6 more looks even more drastic.

I think I will add few degrees at low rpm, and limit at 29 deg at 3000 rpm.

My ignition controller has the option to set specific advance while engine is cranking, so I do not have to worry about stressing the starter.

Any ideas how does ported vacuum relate to unported? When do they equalize? I'll have to do some testing...

Reply to
Yvan

If you add too much the main symptom will be it won't start.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nedavno Duncan Wood napisa:

As I wrote in my previous post, my ignition controller has the option to set specific advance while engine is cranking, so I do not have to worry about that.

My only concern is pinking. And if my ear is sensitive enough to recognize that.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno Pete M napisa:

Where did you get this info? I drew a graph, and I wonder if it is OK to put it somewhere on the web, in case someone else needs it. Unless you got this data on-line in which case you may post a link.

Reply to
Yvan

Autodata. I searched through the BMWs for your distributor part number.

Reply to
Pete M