Impatient drivers.

Are you sure he is flashing you from behind? Sometimes I think that but it is where the car behind is hitting a bump and making their headlamps jump. It has the impression that they are flashing when they are not.

Reply to
Graham T

Strictly? I thought there's no offence of undertaking as such (and hasn't been since the 1972 Act came into effect). So it's a matter of careless driving, where the Highway Code Rule 268 gives a pretty clear guide as to what *is* allowed on motorways.

"Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake."

Reply to
Robin

Sure, but a jobsworth might interpret this to his nefarious benefit.

Reply to
johannes

There are some very volatile people about these days. I blame Cocaine and the gig economy for at least half of it. Back in the good old days, you'd rarely get this sort of thing at all, and if you did, the most that would happen would be a few angry words exchanged. Now there's no telling what these nutters might do. I've no interest in finding out, so just avoid them where possible, since they've no doubt a lot less to lose than I have.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Many years ago, I had a second interior mirror set up to do just that.

Reply to
Davey

No, there isn't, and yes I have passed police cars on the left.

See, that shows that there isn't.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

All over Europe (except Ireland) it is expected to move to the right whenever possible. This is only the wrong thing to do in the British Isles.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

There are middle lane hogs in NL as well, although there is an offence of "Unnecessarily driving on the left". People do get caught doing it and are fined 140 euros.

Reply to
Ramsman

Which is usually full because one heavy goods lorry tries to overtake a another heavy goods lorry with a speed differential of less than 0.5 miles per hour.

In the last six weeks I've done over a thousand miles of motorway driving mainly in non peak times and I've not noticed much 3rd lane hogging. Most people do move to left hand lanes when the gaps are big enough so they don't have to pull out again 5 seconds later to overtake slower moving traffic.

For me I find the worse drivers are those who will not speed up on slip roads so that their vehicle is traveling at a speed to match that of the traffic they are trying to join.

Reply to
alan_m

Driving a kit-car with a mirror finish, stainless-steel body is very good for those that don't think of dipping their lights when they come up behind you!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The last time I was there, the taxi I was in was doing 210kph and was being passed by a number of vehicles.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Particularly when you are stuck behind them and forced to attempt to join at a dangerously low speed yourself.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker