Wiper judder

Had a new screen fitted, but didn't need the wipers for some days. On first using them in heavy rain they were juddering and squeaking. Bought some new Bosch blades - and although better, still some judder.

Is there some sort of coating on a new screen that should have been removed by the installer?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

try washing the new screen with white vinegar

Reply to
steve robinson

Do they judder when moving in both directions? or only one? If only one, then twist the wiper arm to make the blade closer to 90 degrees to the screen (use two adjustable spanners to make the twist, which will only be a subtle amount) If both ways then either there is insufficient spring in the arms (curve them to increase pressure), the wiper pivot point is seized, there is play in the mechanism, or maybe there is something odd on the screen, although I have never had that problem on any new screen (probably more than 20)

Reply to
MrCheerful

I use Rainex so most of the time I don't even need the wipers on at all. I also use in in the shower on the inside surfaces of the glass panels. Works wonders!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Interesting. Is that the same as Rain-X? How long does it last before you need to re-apply it?

Reply to
Roger Mills

One of the worst mistakes I ever made was applying that crap to my windscreen. It smeared so badly, and was a nightmare to remove.

It makes water bead, with the idea that the wind then blows it away. Maybe OK for side windows, but absolutely not on a windscreen.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Dunno. Comes in a yellow spray bottle from BnQ among other places if that helps.

Car windscreen varies according to the weather so not possible to say. Shower cubicle every 6 weeks (clean the glass first of course).

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

strange, because that is not my experience, and I have used it for at least twenty years.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Same here. You do have to get the screen as clean as possible before applying Rain-X, and follow the instructions precisely. Apply, wait until it forms a haze. Apply again, wait again. Sprinkle with clean water and polish off. I usually polish with newspaper.

Reply to
Ramsman

Same way for me when using the original rain-x. Recently I have been using the combined cleaner and rain-x, which is more convenient and quick to use, but does not last like the pure stuff.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Much like when using an automatic car wash with the wax option. The windscreen gets waxed causing water to bead and then smear when using the wipers.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes, that's exactly what I've experienced, and it's really difficult to remove.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Hot water and detergent? Meths?

Reply to
Graham J

My car was washed as part of its last service. Wax on the windscreen in the rain and the dark was not good, causing extensive smearing. I used glass cleaner (possibly from Lidl) to get the wax off the next day, and all was then OK.

Reply to
Ramsman

I tried lots of things, including those, but found a slightly abrasive glass cleaner was the best.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've never used Rain-X but have recently applied something called Aquapel to all the windows and windscreen. According to some online reviews it may not be quite as good as Rain-X ummediately after application but it lasts a lot longer and is a lot cheaper. It went on last Friday and, driving long distances day and night during the shitty weather we had over the long weekend, it definitely did what it says on the tin.

Reply to
D A Stocks