Inspection light

Can anyone recommend a inspection like torch doodah. I've been meaning to buy one for a while and whilst struggling on job I started to late relying on street lighting lol I now am motivated in getting one.

Has to be small-ish, portable battery or rechargeable, ... if it has a hook and magnetic bits would be very handy.

I have a wand tube which I never use as it needs a power supply so I just need something fit for purpose.

I'm only a hobbyist and do all my own maintenance that I can. SO it will not be in use everyday.

Costs wise, so long as its decent and not an arms and leg I'd have a look :)

Thanks

Reply to
Peter smith

In message , Peter smith writes

I have a couple of LED headband torches I bought in case I got benighted on a country walk. It never happened, but I use them for doing jobs in dark corners with both hands free. I don't know if one would give you enough light, but they're cheap as chips from ALDI.

Reply to
Gordon H

And the bulbs don't blow when you tap them.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

buy yourself a luxeon led torch off ebay, I use them all the time, they go up to about 7w which is staggeringly bright, I mainly use the type with cr123a batteries , and of course rechargeables from ebay. must be a luxeon led. until you try one you won't believe the light output, even useful in full daylight for inspecting pads through the wheel.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Those high intensity LED headband jobbies.

Reply to
Conor

3w crees are also pretty good, £10 in Tescos:-)
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Peter smith wrote on 31/08/2009 :

For £10 a couple of years ago I bought a rechargeable LED one, with mains and car chargers. It was about the size/shape of three ciggy packets laid flat end to end, with one face covered in LED's. Worked great until the dog took a liking to it. It also had the hook and magnet dubry. I'm looking for another to replace it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Talking of inspection lights, the Draper 44004 looks a neat idea. Anyone tried one?

It's a half inch extension bar with built in LED that shines through the socket.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Very cool idea!

Reply to
Peter smith

My thoughts is it would be near useless. Until you've found the nut to put it on to. Then you don't need a light...

You want good soft light for working - not a spot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Isn't that the point? You use it to home in on a nut that'd be hard to see without it. Once the socket's in place, the light's done its job.

I use an LED head torch, but all too often a hose or engine part manages to leave a shadow where I'm trying to see.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Well yes - but finding the nut with a point source of light is hard work compared to general illumination.

Absolutely. It's the same thing. May be useful for inspecting things, though. But surely if you're working on a car you have mains available so can provide decent lighting? Excepting roadside repairs, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or when it's raining or when I CBA to unreel metres of extension cable for a five minute job or when the vehicle's parked halfway down my drive, etc. I'm not suggesting that these LEDs are the perfect solution, but there are times when they can come in handy.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

You're going to work on a car in the rain and dark? ;-)

Oh, I can see that. But most are just gimmiks. Like laser guides on saws etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sometimes it's either that or going to work on a bus!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Ah - thought you always had several working spares. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Puncture?

They are not only useful for working on cars, but in lots of domestic dark corners.

Reply to
Gordon H

Well that is the theory! In practice, the more cars I have, the longer the list of minor (or major) outstanding jobs.

Somehow I doubt if I'm the only one in this position.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke