interesting problem... help me solve it.........

Golf estate diesel 2002.

When car is unladen no problems.

When I have heavy weights in the back of the car such as rubble to take to the tip, When stationary, the car at 1,000rpm sounds like its got a failed bearing such as an alternator bearing or a cam belt idler pulley bearing.

Rev up the car to 1,500rpm or above and the "worn bearing noise" disappears. Let the car idle at 1,000rpm and the noise comes back.

Unload car and then no problems at 1,000rpm.

How can a car's loading affect a stationary car with the engine at idle?

Reply to
Stephen

Engine or exhaust mountings?

Reply to
John Henderson

Assuming that the front lifts up, while the front wheels still stays at the ground. That may change the geometry between engine and body?

Reply to
johannes

That was my thought except the engine is basically bolted to the body and should always stay in the same position w.r.t it. Unless it's a worn engine/gearbox mount and the tipping effect of loading lets the engine move back to hit the body.

Reply to
Scott M

loose cables or pipes drumming against the bodywork.

Reply to
steve robinson

But certainly not rigidly bolted to the body. The engine mounts have some flexibility to shield the vibrations. Maybe more so in a diesel.

Reply to
johannes

I suspect this is it. I'd be looking at the back suspension, and whether the exhaust is vibrating or being restricted by it, passing vibration forward.

Reply to
Adrian