Whistling Kadrons - need help

Just installed dual 40mm Kadrons on a 1776 to replace Weber 34's. Runs smoothly, but when I take my foot off the gas, or when the motor is idling after warmup, there is a high pitched, and very loud whistling at the manifold area. When I removed the Weber, I carefully scraped away all the old gasket, *however*, there was a bit of the gasket (about the size of a quarter of a penny), which I cleaned off with a razor as best I could. Unfortunately, there remained a paper thin layer of the old gasket (no more than 1/8" square) which I could not get to. I put a new gasket on, bolted on the manifold and carburetor.

Any ideas? Could such a small possible air leak cause this noise? BTW, replaced the pulley and fan belt also, the deflection between the upper and lower pulleys is 1/4". Could it be too tight, causing the bearings in the alternator to make this whistling noise? I kind of doubt it because the noise disappears if I accelerate, and comes back on deceleration and at idle.

Reply to
Emily Steed

Put some grease on your finger and run it around the seam that you suspect is leaking. If the idle picks up and the whistle goes away, you are the proud owner of a manifold leak.

Re: fan belt tension - the fan belt only needs to be tight enough to run without slipping under load, not tight enough to play a tune. A deflection of one half inch is the standard.

Tim

Emily Steed wrote:

Reply to
The Guy

Hehe he hehehe he he he hehe he he hehehe he! He said "on"! He hehe hehehe he!

Time to adjust your medication Travis. Getting enough beer, are you?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:59:08 +0300, "Olli Lammi" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Workin' on it...

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis