Jag XJ6 - removing a torque converter

I've an 84 Series 3 XJ6 with a dead autobox. Plan to remove the 'box this weekend but on one previous attempt I could not get to turn the flywheel to locate and undo the 4 (?) bolts that connect flywheel to converter.

Any tips?

My wife will be very grateful - the car's been on blocks outside the sitting room window for the last 3 months.

Reply to
Sean

If you intend replacing both box and convertor, the box can be removed first then the torque convertor. Taking them both off together is good practice to avoid damage to the pump input shaft and seals, but is only essential when replacing the transmission. Normally, both pump and torque convertor will be replaced at overhaul time.

The usual way to turn the engine for access to the bolts is to remove the plugs and use a socket with a breaker bar on the crank pulley fixing bolt.

Failing that, you should be able to lever on the starter ring after removing the starter motor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thanks Dave, will have another look this weekend, weather permitting. I want to try and get them off together.

Reply to
Sean

Years ago, I've removed the transmission (BW 12) from a Series I LWB, and I don't remember any significant difficulties - apart from the weight. There's plenty of room in the engine bay which always helps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman