Jeep Parts

As in, where can I get them?

Been tot he local Partco type place today (Brown Brothers), and the Chrysler dealers.

Factors can only get me an air filter on fan (drive) belt. Dealer price - 27 quid filter, 40 quid belt (inc VAT). Factors - 7 quid and 15 quid (plus VAT) respectively. So that's all good for the owner :)

However, the dealer wants something like 150 quid for the steering damper thing, that's all of a foot and a half long, couple of inches diameter, and really not a very impressive looking thing for that sort of money. Plus it's

35 quid for a set of leads, 63 quid for a fuel filter, 16 quid fro a dizzy cap, 14 quid for the rotor arm...

As you can see, even apart from the damper (and I'm sure I'm asking for the right thing, but I know not the ways of 4x4 all that well, so it is possible I'm asking for the wrong thing), that lot adds up to a fair few quid! Never mind the fact the dealer also seems to think I'll get the owner to pay 16 quid a litre for gear oil, seeing as it's on the list infront of me...

Is there anywhere online, over the phone, or preferably over the counter (in Dorset) that might be able to supply these parts? The car really needs the last three years of servicing doing, as that's how long it's been since the last one! And the owner is unlikely to fork out three figures just for a small box of parts - I know I'd be reluctant too if it was my car, but then, I wouldn't have bought something without checking the parts prices first anyway!

I think it may also have a cracked exhaust manifold... I dread to think how much one of those would be...

Reply to
Stuffed

Indeed!

I think they've got off lightly with 3 figures for parts seeing as it's not been serviced for 3 years. IME they don't tend to be as robust as the image suggests.

Reply to
arry_b

Seeing as the MOT is due on it, I'm going to tell the owner to throw it at that before I do anything else - Otherwise they might start thinking I'm having them on about all of this (only doing it cause I know a bit about cars and they're friends...).

As for the robust image - I'm a tad worried that a damper on the steering linkage can be shot to high heaven when the car is only ever off road when parked, and it's not all that old either. Plus both axles leaking (and noted as doing so on a repair invoice I found dated October 99 before the current owner bought it) at 50k of gentle driving... My 30 year old Triumph doesn't leak a drop from there, and has seen far more miles and abuse!

Even though it's been neglected, and needs a bit more work than it should for a 48k service, I just cannot see how Chrysler parts can be so expensive!

And I though Dolomite ball joints were a rip off...

Reply to
Stuffed