Join the FREE FUEL CARD TRIAL GROUP

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

I recently had a rant on our local FreeCycle explaining that I'd not consider any of the Wanted posts if they didn't have capital letters and punctuation - nor would I dispose of any of my Offered items to anyone who couldn't be arsed to use English.

Got a swarm of emails from like minded FreeCyclers.

Reply to
Guy King

Heh.

Saw something like that on my local one, too.

I'm losing patience with FreeCycle these days, though - last week I offered some half decent stuff in a garage clearout (like 2 nearly new hover mowers and a working computer) - despite having emails promising collection, no-one turned up.

Mind you, I stay subscribed just to laugh at the crazy 'wanted' posts - usually from illiterates. (Wanted: ne psp stuff, working lappy, etc... although the best ones are 'Wanted: Ford Escort. must be less than 10 years old with tax and mot, I'm housebound so you would have to deliver')

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Wanted: Moon on a stick.

Reply to
Guy King

Neither can you use capital letters correctly.

The thing is, people who you are trying to convince ARE swayed by poor grammar and spelling. Smacks of outright lazy bone idleness and amateurism.

Reply to
Conor

"infact" is not a word in the English language.

Using several psuedonyms in a vain attempt to fool people just smacks of desperation. Is your product so crap that you have to resort to such things?

Reply to
Conor

Sadly, yes. Shame that the dumbass is too stupid to realise that such posts, the contents of the posts and the flaming of those you're trying to convince is hardly likely to gain you any interest.

Reply to
Conor

So didn't they teach any punctuation in English? I can still remember most of my grammar lessons and it was 27 years ago that I passed O level.

Reply to
Malc

Probably not. It was untrendy for quite a while in the 80's/90's then the teachers who had grown up not being taught it have to (try to) teach it to the kids of today...

Reply to
PC Paul

One of whom seems to be posting here. Seriously though, he puncuates worse than my dyslexic and slightly autistic son did when he was six.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

It is dire. And I certainly wouoldn't buy anything form somebody with such a bad command of English, and such a lack of respect for potential customers.

Of course, in this case even if the English was perfect there are many many other reasons to stay at the other end of a non-contact narrowboat wrangling device.

Reply to
PC Paul

Erm, Paul....

You do realise you've dropped a bollock in your grammar rant a couple of posts back, don't you?

Reply to
SteveH

The message from PC Paul contains these words:

Painter?

Reply to
Guy King

Bargepole.

Reply to
PC Paul

Me? Grammar rant?

Must be somebody else, guvnor.

I guess you mean the "80's and 90's". Debatable.

From askoxford.com:

"An apostrophe is used: when letters or numbers are referred to in plural form: mind your p's and q's; find all the number 7's"

I would contend that I was referring to the plurality of 1981, 1982,

1983 etc. and therefore "80's" is correct. You may be thinking of the singular "decade known as the 80s" in which case you would be correct in the larger sense, but wrong in this instance.

But thanks for playing ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

Ask Oxford are, IMHO, wrong.

I'd never use an apostrophe in this context.

Reply to
SteveH

I'll tell them.

Reply to
PC Paul

SteveH wrote: .

But it's traditional to do so. Or is that so to do?

Reply to
Malc

The message from PC Paul contains these words:

Hmm. /May/ be used, I reckon, not /is/ used.

Reply to
Guy King

;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

The message from PC Paul contains these words:

It's my language just as much as theirs.

Reply to
Guy King