K series headgasket replacement

My friend's 1.4 Rover 400 has developed the dreaded K series headgasket problem.

Is it an easy DIY job? I've done them before on other cars but I've not been near a K series before. Any special tools needed for the timing belt etc? I know the head will need skimming but there's place near me that does them on a same day turnaround.

Assuming that its not an easy DIY job, what's the going rate for the job at an independent garage? The rest of the car is is very good condition but its a W plater and obviously not worth spending a lot of money on.

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Assuming the head is serviceable then a garge would typically charge between

500 and 600 for the whole job.

If you want to do it then it is actually quite a nice lump to work on, a bit like working on a Japanese motorcycle engine.

Replace the head bolts, get the latest type head gasket, replace the water pump and cam belt unless very recent and refill with good anti-freeze.

If you haven't done one before then allow a long morning to take apart and a full day for re-assembly.

You need a torque wrench and an angle gauge for the head bolts. A plastic cam wheel holder (any car shop about a fiver) and general tool kit. There are some awkward to find bolts on the cam cover, but nothing too dire.

head set about 35, bolts 20, water pump 35, cam belt kit 40, odds and ends

20 PLUS your labour.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful