Ka - revs not dropping

Some time ago now I posted a query relating to the revs not dropping when depressing the clutch during gear changes. This started directly after a smallish rear shunt.

Well I finally fixed it, in fact it was the first thing I tried. After grabbing a Haynes off ebay I located and cleaned the idle valve. It didn't look very dirty, but a few squirts of WD40 and the problem has gone :-) I realise WD40 isn't a great lubricant, so when/if it fails again I'll just buy a new valve.

Next job, anybody got any tips for treating rust on the outside of a petrol tank? If not it'll just be a wire brush/rust killer/hammerite. FFS the cars only done 28k :-(

Tip of the weekend. When removing a Pug 306 door light switch from the A pillar, do *not* allow the cable to fall inside the pillar. This will make a 2 minute job a much much longer one. :-(

Reply to
mike. buckley

Mixed experience with (Cavalier) ICVs - I cleaned mine and re-lifed it by some months, but the problem returned. Got a replacement from a scrappers for £10 and it's been fine since.

GF's Ka had a similar problem (although erratic) as you described - cleaned it, problem went away, but because it once nearly killed her (or at least almost caused an accident) she demanded a new replacement anyway, local motor factors sold her one for £70 (just as an indication of what you should expect to pay). BTW, if you do chose to replace, be aware that the part number (forgot what it was) has a suffix, A, B or C - it's important to get the right one (I know there's a difference between the connector on the A and B model)

Regards

Reply to
Mike Dodd