Fire up the Quattro

Let's go. I've sky_'d it so I can watch it again, again, and again.

Reply to
Elder

Mmmm straight five.

Looks like they found a use for an escort as well.

Reply to
Depresion

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Elder, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Ho yuss.

I have to be a trainspotter here though. How many things did you notice that were wrong about the cars?

The Quattro... V reg, wrong wheels, wrong interior, and RHD. That's an '85 or '86 model, that is...

The Cortina plod cars.. dealer sticker in the back window and Ghia badge on the boot..

Fuck's sake, but hey, who cares. Top telly.

Reply to
Pete M

Ho Yuss, Indeed.

And the trainspotters have already done the inaccuracies to death on retro-rides.

Reply to
Elder

I thought it was s**te. Nice to see a quattro storming about, nice legs, but s**te.

Reply to
Doki

Not seen it yet, but for comparison purposes, what telly/film do you like?

(apart from Transformers obviously :-) )

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

What on earth are you on about?

Reply to
DervMan

The wheels are (IIRC) Fuchs 7J, available as an option from Audi for the first few years of production and used by the rally ream for loose surface work.

The car is an early 83.

Phone up, ask to speak to Rick, it was his car.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Well Retro Rides want to f*ck off then. If it's all in her head then unless she's a member of Retro Rides herself she's hardly likely to know what breed of quattro it should any more than I'd know what brand her leather jacket is likely to be. So her fantasy-reality is actually more accurate than RR are giving the writers credit for.

Or something

Reply to
Abo

Ashes to Ashes

Reply to
Depresion

Was okay, not sure the quattro worked, I can't see Hunt using it, and not to the extent of wearing a quttro tie !

Reply to
Geoff

At the risk of offending the older members of the group, I thought it was some of the worst telly I've seen in a long time. The 4.5 seconds with the quattro in were ok, especially the bit where he changed down and floored it, but the rest was irritatingly bad.

I think I must be missing something...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Having not watched Life on Mars, but having twigged how much it amused people I went in expecting a bit of comedy, non-serious telly and I thought it delivered. The bit on the speedboat where they came round the corner with Uzis was just awesome haha!

Taking it too seriously was a mistake, it was a problem about a time travelling cop in a coma ffs...

Reply to
Iridium

You just know they only make it because they have too much fun. As he said on Top Gear: "Knob, handbrake. Handbrake knob."

Reply to
Depresion

it's just LOM reloaded, it's OK but seems a touch laboured to me...

Reply to
mike

Bloody hell, you crawled out of the woodwork.

You still living just outside Warrington.

Reply to
Elder

An obvious typo, sky+'d it.

Reply to
Elder

Yep, still there. I've moved a mile or two up the road though!

Have you still got that car with the engine in the wrong end?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Not too far off mine then. Still makes me wonder why you thought Transformers was going to be any good at all though :-)

Have now seen it. It's definitely confused. I wonder if they let the success of LOM go to their heads - it feels like they're just playing with their cliches rather than actually writing a story - more of a sketch-show than a drama. Wondering if the gunplay was supposed to be a-team like - cos as with the use of the car, it felt just plain wrong.

Paper reckons next weeks is good though, so I'll stick with it.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

That went a while ago. I bought Favorit as it was a bit more motorway friendly. No room for the Favorit after that. Then changing a set of shocks on a cold floor trapped a nerve, so I ended up with sciatica, so a motorpsort sprung tarmac rally height bucket seated favorit wasn't the best toy.

Had a Saab 900 turbo which had quite a severe oil leak that I couldn't find, and eventually couldn't put up with. So that went after 18 months. Found the source of the oil leak the day it was due to be collected, and that oil leak would have caused the occasional jumping out of gear becuase the spray path of the oil over the years would have rotted the trans-mount.

Then had a Celica GT4 which I spent silly money on, upping the boost, new springs, shocks, bushes, gauges, grooved discs and ceramic pads, new hosing and intake mods, stainless freeflowing exhaust, adjustable dumpvalve, but I couldn't ignore that the valve guides were worn, and it was breathing a lot of oil through the intake too (I think the valve wear was due to the flame trap to the PCV being sludged and full of coal like crystals). I thought about it and decided to sell. Still see it arround.

Then I bought a Saab 900 Turbo convertible. Nice drive, rebuild engine and recon turbo and box. Loads of bills to prove the work. But I bought it blind off ebay, when I got it home, the roof leaked in a place that couldn't easily be patched, and I noticed the A pillars were out of square, the windscreen was milky in one corner. Then I noticed some rust bubles along the A pillar, quick prod and poke it it was quite extensive above the mainbody line, but nothing below. This was about 2 weeks after the fresh MOT done for me collecting. I sold this to a German who flew in to collect and spent a week touring down the country, and driving home. He was going to let me know whether he was going to repair it and put it throught TUV or use it for spares. He never did.

After that, I bought an Octavia to be sensible. It was OK, really reliable, and really economical, and really boring. About 4 months after I bought it, in this order, I got made redundant, then I got made redundant again(weekly cheques kept bouncing then he said I wasn't upto the job to the dole, but told me he couldn't afford me), then my mum died, then I got a job offer, but he kept putting back the start date. Midway through that I decided to sell and get something cheaper and put some cash in the bank, but it didn't sell until I was working again.

So I bought the rangerover, the LPG system wasn't reliable, the tailgate was knackered, the aircon didn't work, and it felt flat on petrol, and with a 3" lift wallowed like a duck on corners but it was fun. Had a mystery ignition failure just after I got it running on LPG, while trying to sort that the vandals came in, smashed windows stole the stereo. Turns out the ignition problem was the Halfords dizzy cap I had fitted when I gave it a service. Fitted one from Partco and it fired up straight away, just needed the timing set. Again, that was after I had agreed to sell it, once it was drivable.

So now I have the large barge american handling (wallowy) Toyota Celsior (LS400) which I'm selling for something diesel because a lot of my job is now moving servers and occasionally staff arround between the offices and datacentres. Shame really, it was nice, cheap, rwd, reliable, comfy and interesting with all the toys. But I'm just putting too much petrol in particularly on weeks where I'm doing a lot of city centre work driving. When I bought it, it was drive to work, park, drive home and petrol was about 15p a litre cheaper, for at least a week.

Things move on quickly went I want a change.

Reply to
Elder