Ka suspension bushes

Hi,

Ka.... Last year had an MOT advisory that the front upper shock absorbers (both sides) have slightly worn bushes. When I grab the top of the strut inside the engine bay I can't make either of them move and the topmost bush looks fine. Is this anything to worry about? Got next MoT coming up and if it fails on that I'm in trouble apparently (other half's car) :) Apparently she was told it probably won't get through this year but I don't see why.

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

unless your suspension is hanging down then you wont get any movement, try jacking up it on the jacking point then try it again, you will then get some up and down movement as the top shock mounts are designed to do that.

Reply to
reg

should have added that per the mot test you need to grab the road wheel top & bottom push & pull it, then grab it side to side & shake it to check for any suspension play.

Reply to
reg

I know they can do their TCA bushes ever 10000 miles or so.

Reply to
Doki

IIRC this is a well known feature, not a fault, but there are modified top bushes with a slightly shorter metal sleeve available. You can of course take your old one out and shorten it a little (about 3mm) but don't say I told you !

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Just put it in for its test 30 days before the old one runs out. If it passes, all well and good. If it fails, you've got 30 days to play with it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

It does make one wonder though, I took my Ford focus in to the main Ford garage (where I always go) six months after its MOT to have a couple of gas struts fitted to the tailgate along with an intermediate service.

The guy on the reception desk told me that there were some 'rubber bushes'? failing in the rear suspension which would have to be done before it would pass its next MOT, IIRC I was quoted somewhere around £280 with VAT, being a bit skint at the time and as it apparently wasn't a safety issue I told him I'd leave it until I had the next MOT done.

Came the day and the wife says don't forget to tell the mechanic what needs to be done, which of course I didn't and guess what, it sailed through the test without a mention of any problems with the rear suspension, it will be interesting to see if I'm quite so lucky next year.

Reply to
Ivan

At it's last main dealer service at 72,000, they told me the lower bushes on my 206 needed replacing urgently and it wouldn't pass it's impending MOT. But, it did pass it's MOT an an independent garage at 85,000 without comment, and has just passed it's 2nd MOT at 115,000 with just an advisory on one bush!

Reply to
Doctor D

Bushes can make a difference to the drive of the car without actually failing MOTs.

Reply to
Doki