keeping electrical conductivity on screw thread

I have one of those small LED pocket torches (flashlight). To turn it on

> and off, I have to screw the end up towards the bulb end to compress the > contacts against the battery. > > The thread in the screw end is an extremely 'loose' fit and tends to > 'unscrew or scew up' when it sits in the car glove compartment for a > while. > > Is there a way to *stiffen* this 'loosness' in the thread, without > reducing > the electrical conductivity? > > It needs to make good electrical contact for the torch to work, so I guess > that rules out putting a dab of wood glue on the thread? Thanks for > any > advice.
Reply to
john royce

Sounds like a gentle squish of the end cap will do the job...

Reply to
PCPaul

Thanks. could you explain to a novish 'squish' ? would i need to do a degree course?

Reply to
john royce

run a rough file over the threads

Reply to
Blah

wrap a bit of foil around the threads.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

He's got a screw loose. Didn't you read the post?

Reply to
salty

If this is a typical Maglite then trash it. The switch mechanism will never be trouble free after the light is a few years old.

Reply to
tnom

Wrap a few turns of Teflon pipe thread tape around the male threads so that the looseness is removed. You might have to rewrap frequently, depending on how much use the flashlight gets. Another suggestion is to cut a gasket out of a sheet of very thin rubber or vinyl sheet, lube it with silicone grease and wrap the gasket around the threads.

Reply to
Dave M

won't that insulate it? ...

Reply to
Blah

Actually, no. The contact between the lens housing and the body of the unit is actually made by the end of the body and a mating surface on the lens housing. If the Teflon tape is confined to the threads, the contact should be good. Also, the Teflon tape is extremely thin and is easily torn by the threads; providing more contact surface. The idea I was trying to suggest is to fill the gaps in the threads, reducing the tendency for it to unscrew itself.

Reply to
Dave M

If it IS a real MagLite, OP is mistaken about it being part of the circuit. You can actually take the nose off and use it as a base, and use the flashlight as a candle. (leastways, on the pre-LED versions) I suppose there are some knockoffs that use it as part of the circuit, but I have never seen any. Flickery light is almost always due to an internal spring getting wimpy.

(Note- even on a full-size Mag, the side switch is repairable. A pain to get it out, but repairable.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

FWIW, the OP didn't say it was a MagLite. (It helps to keep track of this stuff when I come in late and read the whole thread at once.)

Reply to
mm

Bend one of the threads a little bit. Not one at the open end. One 3 threads back, so that you can still use the good threads to start screwing it on, and they will be enough to pull it on when it gets to the bad thread.

If you don't do it enough, you can do it more later. (make sure it is meant to screw on that far.)

If you do it too much, you should be able to clean up the bad thread a bit by twisting a screwdriver in the groove.

Reply to
mm

Hi, I'd try a piece of Al. ducp tape.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Most of these torches have an o'ring on the bit you turn them on with.Get a new o'ring or one a trifle bigger.

Reply to
F Murtz

Probably hi-jacked some other thread in one of the cross-posted ng's.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

That sounds good too.

Reply to
mm

Or insert a piece of dowel, then crush the threads a little with a hammer.

Reply to
Bob Larter

Depends how sturdy it is. If it's an AA-battery sized torch then probably just a quick 'bite' or a gentle tap with a block of wood would do the job. If it's more solid then a (padded) hammer could do it.

The intention is just to make it very slightly out of round, so it makes a good solid connection and can't rattle loose.

Reply to
PCPaul