Laguna air con repair - 1400 quid??

I have a 98 Laguna that went in for a service and MOT recently. I asked the garage to check out the air conditioning which is not currently working and was quoted a total of 1400 quid to fix - apparently this included a leak on the radiator, a new dryer, and a new compressor. Is this reasonable or should I be shopping around? I certainly don't intend to pay for this lot to do the work ...

Reply to
leo

It doesn't sound totally over the top. Aircon compressors alone can be £400-600. I'd imagine that it's just not worth fixing it on a 98 laguna.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

If you source the parts needed yourself, direct from the manurfactuerers or distrobutors-

Compressor - £275 max Condensor - £200 max Dryer - £70 max Afew seals and sundries / oil etc £25

Labour to fit and regas £200

+Vat

= £875 or so

If you are mechanically minded, its not beyond the wit of man to swap out the compressor and condensor and save more.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Or find one that has been rear-ended in a scrapyard and nick the parts from that.

Reply to
SteveH

Tim.. ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A few suppliers listing them new on fleaBay for around a ton.

GSF say £115+vat

Or less...

Of course, if it's the evaporator that's being referred to as "radiator", life might be a chunk more interesting.

Reply to
Adrian

Of course, it could just be a small leak somewhere which means that the compressor isn't cutting in etc so they think it's failed and they're trying to get your money. ...but then again on a renault it's perfectly possible that the bulk of it has failed ;-)

Reply to
adder1969