"Lazy" starting - '98 Rover 216 Si

Our Rover seems a bit 'sluggish' to turn the starter motor when the key is initially turned - seems to spin pretty well after the initial 'delay'.

Battery has just been charged (is only circa 1 yr old anyway but does tend to be used mainly for short trips).

I was thinking perhaps a poor earth somewhere?

Reply to
Jeremy

Probably. Start with cleaning the battery terminals, if required, then the main connection to the starter motor, then any other earth leads there might be.

Does it smoke at all when you first start it?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

This is a very common question on this NG and you might care to look at the thread 'Is there such a thing as a weak start motor?' on 27.12.04.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

No there is no smoke.

Reply to
Jeremy

Just a thought that the cylinders might be filling with oil (well, not "filling", but you know) overnight and raising the compression.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Just too the starter motor apart on the missis Calalier TD (izuzu engine) and gave it a good clean, its gone from only just turning the car over to turning it over at normal speed. The commutator was really quiet dirty, and tbh once the starter motor was off it didnt take too long to do the job.

Look here for a cpl of pointers.

hope this helps

Chris

Reply to