Mazda 323 f 2000

A mate has a Mazda 323f 2000 plate and the cam belt has just snapped at 50K what sort of damage can he expect ? Is this a interferance engine ?

Thanks Julian

Reply to
rasler

Sorry 1839CC BP engine.

Reply to
rasler

Damage- yes, definately.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I'd consider contacting Mazda about this, from memory the cambelt change interval is 62K miles and has no time limit either (unlike my Toyota which is 60K miles or 5 years - whichever comes first).

Not sure about the chances of them replacing/repairing the engine though as it's out of warranty. But surely it should last longer than 50K/4yrs....

Reply to
Johnny

No, according to the handbook the belt interval is 48k or 4 yrs, thats on the 1.8 and 2litre engines.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Just checked the handbook for a 1999 1.8 Sport and it states 54,000 miles - no mention whatsoever of time limit (obviously there must be a time limit as rubber gets brittle over time...).

I notice you mention the 2 litre engine too, is your handbook the previous (2002) ? Because the OP states it's a 2000 plate and there was no 2 litre engine available then in Europe (nice 2 litre 4WD version for the Japanese Domestic Market though :).

Reply to
Johnny

Just got an update on this and it turns out that the belt has not snapped but the tensinoner spring has snapped and the belt jumped teeth. Now no compression on 2 cylinders ..oh dear ! Julian

50K/4yrs....

OP

Reply to
rasler

Ring your local engine reconditioner & your local scrapyard, they'll both be cheaper than Mazda.

Reply to
DuncanWood

message

Our car is a 2003 2litre sport, with the VCT direct ignition engine.(cant remember the code at moment- mouth full of toast)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.