LDV Convoy gears

Don't know if this is an appropriate group for this topic, maybe somone could direct me if not. I looking at buying an 'L' Reg LDV Convoy 2.5D Camper conversion with Peugot engine/gearbox (90,000 miles) but have difficulty in changing the gears, crunching them sometimes. It seems like the clutch pedal needs to go down a little further but I'm not sure. Could the van have some kind of clutch/gearbox problem or are LDV gears just difficult to locate. I'm looking to buy it for the camper conversion it has had and not really the van. Any help would be gratelly appreciated. REgards Ken

Reply to
Kenspot

I can think of no end of complaints about that vintage LDV but the gearchage wasn't amongst them.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Possibilities.

1) Low/no oil in the gearbox - quite likely. 2) Clutch out of adjustment - quite likely 3) Synchromeshes worn.
Reply to
Conor

Can you expand on the list of complaints please?

Reply to
Kenspot

The bushes on the front suspension go soft every10000m 7 so it's a bit like steering a ship, the engines don't like headwinds, the door latches don't, those are the major ones.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Any of these things likely to be costly? Would worn Synchromeshes require a new gearbox? Ken

Reply to
Kenspot

The worn synchromeshes would - recon box is cheapest option other than a scrapyard.

Reply to
Conor