modification: rust

OSF Chassis leg of my Carlton

Wish I had bought something nice and rust proof.

Like an Alfa Sud.

"**Shakes fist**"

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Douglas Payne decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

ooofuk!

Jeeeeeezus!

*Coming soon*

Mercedes 500 chassis rust, and the massive amount of bubbling on our 9 month old Ford Excursion limousine.. £140k worth and it rusts like a Jag bootlid...

Reply to
Pete M

In article , snipped-for-privacy@cheerful.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

My god, there was less on £95 Skoda Estelle, far less on my £80 favorit, and nothing like it at all on my £325 Saab.

You poor unlucky bugger.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

This is a £350 Carlton, I bought it last September with an MOT till April. Its been fun, if a little heavy on the petrol. Now me and a mate have been patching it up, it's basically failed 3 MOTs in succession where it "passes on everything but..." We patch it up, have it tested and they find something else.

If it fails another MOT I think I will take it banger racing. I hear the crowds love a bit of rear drive powersliding action. (c;

Anyone got anything interesting for sale with a year's MOT for ~£500?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Probably not what you're after, but very characterful, and remarkably good (especially compared to what you'd expect) as far as rust goes.

It's my Maestro van, 89/F reg. Bought off a bloke who only had it for a few months, but bought if off a family friend who'd owned it since three years old, and before that it was a SEB (Southern Electric Board) van. The owner that had had it for about 10 years was a bus mechanic and had looked after it really well, and it's mechanically absolutely spot on, and starts first flick of the key and is bloody excellent on fuel. I'm gutted to have to sell it, as I much prefer driving it to my Seat Inca van I've just bought, but these courier companies insist on a new-ish van, which the Maestro isn't. It's a dull lime green colour, has a few light rust bubbles on it, has a year's MOT and 6 months' tax less about 2 months. It's had a recent cambelt and clutch, and runs absolutely spot on and fuel economy is superb (2 litre Perkins direct injection diesel). I did intend to sell the Fiesta and use this, but I got too lazy to get around to selling the Fiesta and spotted a bargain Seat Inca van and part-ex'd the Fiesta for that, so haven't used the Maestro at all. When I picked it up the fuel light was on, and it got the van home, and my mate (who's been looking after it for me) stuck £20 of diesel in it, and so far it's done 280 miles, with the needle still a reasonable distance from the empty mark, so I'd reckon on at least

55mpg. I'm gutted to let it go as given the choice I'd rather drive the Maestro than the Seat, which is an ok enough van, but the Maestro definitely feels more gutsy. It pulls really well and had lovely vinyl seats(!). It's got a box of spare parts including a brand new lift pump (whatever that is) and a brand new windscreen sitting in the back of the van. There's a crack on the windscreen in the top left corner a few inches long, but it didn't fail the MOT on it, and personally I wouldn't want to replace the screen (should cost around £30 or so for someone to fit the screen) until something more major happened (sod's law that if you did you'd get a big stone chip the next day). They're a pretty sought after van because of the bulletproof reliability of the engine and the superb economy, and I'm after £500 for it, absolutely no offers, it really is in superb condition.

But probably not your sort of thing.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Ouch nasty. I take this is the fault of the coachbuilders? The entire

4xFord series appears to be nicely rustproofed as supplied ex-works. I took mine to "before and after" and the nice gentleman there said there wasn't much point in paying for it to be rust proofed because Ford had already done a good job.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Paging SteveH...

Well, the Primera isn't interesting, but its probly a basically good car :)

Reply to
Dan405

Ford Mondeo TD any good? Decent tyres all round, all works, MOT until Feb

05, Tax until August. 227,000 miles, had a new/recon/something engine 70K ago. Drives straight, stops straight and goes around corners. Needs a bonnet as this ones dented up from me using it to stand on when at race days. Will be for sale in about a fornight, £350?

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Aye - not interesting, but quite fast, tidy handling and almost rust free. (bit of surface rust in the usual Primera place).

Reliable as hell, and only just run in at 127k miles ;-)

Looking for £400ono. If someone can take it away within a couple of days, then I'm open to negotiations.

Reply to
SteveH

I remember the post where you said what you'd bought this for :). Could be alright for the razz around Yuuurp, though I quite fancy a Senator.

Reply to
Doki

Where's that? Got any pictures on your magic server?

Mileage doesnt tend to bother me as long as the major mechanicals run sweet and aren't obviously about to go wrong.

Oooh, how much tax & test? ISTR you live in Wales?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Had a flat battery this morning, but jumpstarted OK from the 155, and is charging the battery fine. It's just been sat there for a month without being started.

Test to end Jan 2005. Tax end June 2004.

Near Caerphilly, 15 miles north of Cardiff.

Reply to
SteveH

I might actually be interested. Mondeo TDs arent particularly quick are they? I do quite like the lazyness of TD's, although my current car's an auto and I'll have to get used to all that gearstick waggling nonsense again.

How tidy? Is it rough as a badgers arse inside and out or is it not bad? I'm not expecting all that much for £350 but it makes a difference. Got any recent pics?

You live in leicestershire yesno?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You mean what I paid for it when it didn't drive and had no tax or MOT? ;)

Reply to
**-**

Yep live near Leicester.

Rough as a badgers arse would be a good description ;). It needs a bonnet to tidy it up and a really good clean inside and out. Seats arn't ripped up though, just grimy.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

I could have fixed it :). Yes...

Reply to
Doki

Funny how the lights on the back of a Primera are reminiscent of the Dedra ones

Reply to
<fishman nineteen at bifgoot dot com>

Never noticed it myself, but I do see what you mean.

Reply to
SteveH

It doesn't work like that. When you take it back, they only test the previous-fail things - it doesn't matter if something else has cropped up in the mean time. Have you been going to a different garage each time, or something ?

Reply to
Nom

Although that usually happens it's not how it's supposed to happen. For most failures a full retest is required, lights and easy stuff don't need it.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong