Leaking after air con use

MK4 golf 1.6se 1999

Never owned a car with air con before, and quite a niuce extra I might add.

I was using it today for about 90 mins and when I parked up I noticed a leak in the direction I had reversed so looked under my car form the front and to the right side (nearest the curb) there was a constant leak a continious drip.

Never having owned a car with air con and it only happens when air con is used am I to guess this is something to do with that ? and is it normal or is this a leak or something else ?

Big vague description but hopefully someone might be able to help me :)

Reply to
munki

That is perfectly normal, it is the condensate draining. The unit chills the air and as a result condensation forms inside the unit, which has to drain. It is this water draining which you have spotted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"munki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's not a leak, it's condensed humidity from the air - perfectly normal.

One of the most useful benefits of aircon in the UK is that it dries the air as it cools it - so in winter, you can get dry warm air, which'll clear misted windows _instantly_.

Don't forget to make sure you use the aircon regularly - 10min every couple of weeks or so minimum - to keep the seals from drying.

Reply to
Adrian

It's not a leak. It's moisture removed from the air by the aircon draining, and is normal.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Phew cheers fellas :)

I shall make sure it gets used so the seals don't dry *thumbs up* Adrian

Reply to
munki

IANAM (I am not a mechanic etc)

ISTR someone else mentioning that it's worth switching it off ten minutes before you "arrive" at your destination to allow the air ducts to dry out, otherwise they might start to pong if they leave any stagnant puddles of condensate.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The fact that you can see the "leakage" is a good sign that the aircon is working and that the drainage tubes are not blocked. Never had any problems with smells from my condensate.

Support previous posts that using it in winter ( heat and aircon on) is an excellent way of demisting even tho' it mind sound counter-intuitive.

Reply to
robert

I frequently read about problems with car air conditioning units, such as leaks and regassing, however as it's not at all uncommon for fridges and freezers to work continuously for decades without problems, does this mean that vehicle air conditioning has to work on a completely different principle to that of a 'sealed for life' refrigeration unit?

Reply to
Anth

the principles of the refrigeration are identical, the problems with the car stuff is that of necessity there must be flexible pipes and connections that may be dismantled and the pump must have a seal which can leak and in addition the physical conditions with regard to vibration, damage and corrosion all do not occur in a fridge. fridges use a pump inside a sealed container, all the pipes are welded together, and it is rare to get any physical damage or corrosion, also the condenser can be much larger on a fridge. if it was convenient/practical to run an electric aircon on a car then many problems can be eliminated. I believe the prius uses a peltier block to cool when the engine is off, but it does have masses of batteries to run it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for the explanation most, interesting.. In early units the compressor was driven by an independent electric motor, presumably little different then to a vehicle's unit being run from the engine, IIRC they also had a reasonably trouble free life, apart from an occasional broken drive belt or defunct motor.

Reply to
Anth
[...]

Very early (1950's) domestic refrigeration didn't use a compressor. They used a cartridge heater to effectively "compress" the refrigerant. Consequently they were very reliable, although freezing capacity was minimal.

Industrial refrigeration from that era was pretty unreliable. It suffered in the same way as modern car systems with leakage from the compressor shaft seal. As the refrigerant used was often ammonia, this was quite a safety problem!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

They still make air conditioning/refrigeration units with a separate belt drive motor. Again though most of the joints are solid, there are no rubber hoses. In the old air conditioning units in buildings with separate motors they sometimes used ammonia as the refrigerant, they also expect to top it up regularly and because of the large quantities of refrigerant a small leak is not noticed so soon.

If you want to see some fascinating cooling eqipment and have a nice day out then visit the ' Secret' Nuclear bunker at kelvedon hatch in essex, well worth a visit. One of the fridge pumps is in a stripped condition as they stood the place down during its routine maintenance!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes I had a 1940/50s Electrolux absorption refrigerator given to us in the

1960s, (it could almost have been used as a freezer when turned it up to max) we had that for about 15 years and only got rid of it because it was starting to look tatty and old-fashioned.
Reply to
Anth

Anth formulated on Monday :

In a fridge the motor and compressor are sealed up as one unit, no drive shaft passing through a seal and bearing. The pipe work is also brazed up, rather than jointed as on a car.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Anth brought next idea :

This method is still used for caravan fridges which can work on any of gas, 12v and 240v. They do manage to freeze.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

However the efficiency's lower & they're quite low power (they're normally Einstein Szilard cycle which is almost completely different to a conventional heat pump) but almost totally silent & durable.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

IIRC wasn't it those Electrolux absorption refrigerators that were fitted in the postwar prefab kitchens?. if so it would have been something of a revelation in the austerity plagued aftermath of world war two, allowing for the fact of there being sufficient electricity generation capacity left to power them of course.

Reply to
Ivan

In message , Anth writes

Yebbut, you don't bounce your fridge up and down curbs or hit potholes at 60MPH in it so they may last a little longer than a car A/C system.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Chris Whelan writes

Ammonia is making a comeback as a refrigerant.

Reply to
Clint Sharp