Water dripping after using the A/C is normal?

I drive a 2004 Nissan Sentra.

After a 20-mile drive on the highway during which I used the a/c, when I parked in the garage, I discovered a leak of something like water -- a clear fluid from a drip in the undercarriage. the drip came from the underside of the car between the driver seat and passenger seat.

The manual says that "water dripping from the air conditioner after use is normal."

It is? Was that what I found?

Reply to
George Lin, editor in chief of

It is almost certainly what you have observed, and it is normal.

Reply to
<HLS

As the warm humid air passes over the cold air conditioner evaporator core in the dash of your car, some of the moisture in the air condensates as it cools. You may have seen this phenomenon when you put a glass filled with ice on your coffee table and left a wet ring of water on the surface of the table (always use a coater). This is normal. The car has a drain hose attached to the bottom of the plastic case that houses the evaporator core under the dash. This hose is passed through the bulkhead or floor of the cab to allow the water to drain out onto the pavement. The higher the humidity, the more water you will find draining from the air conditioner. The drain hose is normally placed under the evaporator core, which on most cars is in the general area of the passenger side of the car under the dash, just above where the passengers feet would be. (see why you need a hose to the outside?) Normally, the water from the air conditioner would be observed dripping beneath the car in the area of just below and forward of the passenger's feet, but some water may travel along various components under the car and wind up falling in other areas. I would say it is a pretty safe bet that what you saw was indeed the normal dripping of the water produced by your car's air conditioner system.

Reply to
Kevin

All air conditioners drip water. It is water that condenses out of the air when it is cooled. Conceivably, if you live in a desert there might not be a noticeable amount of this. The a/c for your house will typically produce a puddle of water.

Reply to
mc

After a 20-mile drive on the highway during which I used the a/c, when I parked in the garage, I discovered a leak of something like water -- a clear fluid from a drip in the undercarriage. the drip came from the underside of the car between the driver seat and passenger seat.

The manual says that "water dripping from the air conditioner after use is normal."

It is? Was that what I found?

I was banking on the Fountain of Youth. Oh well.

Reply to
~Poorboy~

I'd say if you didnt see condensate dripping you had problems. What your seeing just means its working.

Reply to
ed

Yes it is normal. On a side note, if you ever need car repair or service, please take the car to someone you trust or have someone who is car-savvy with you.

Reply to
Truckdude

Yep, melting ice produces water.......

Reply to
Larry Shaw

Truckdude wrote: On a side note, if you ever need car repair or service,

Which is a polite way of saying, "How on God's green earth can anyone live to be old enough to drive and not know that air conditioners drip water?"

Reply to
Steve

Yes it was! Even my eleven year-old daughter knows what the puddle under my truck is on a hot day!

Reply to
Truckdude