Locking Wheel Nut Removal

Hello,

Has anyone got any advice regarding the removal of these without the adapter "socket"?

I seem to have lost mine after I had to bag my car's contents prior to it going away for an insurance repair :(

Only idea worth the time of day so far has been to drill through the bolt at the centre until the nut can be broken off, and then of course replace the bolt.

Anyone think of anything better?

Cheers, Rich.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

Find a cheap socket that not quite fits over the locking nut. Whack it with a hammer until it well and truly does quite fit.

Turn it.

Reply to
PC Paul

"Richard Phillips" wrote

Angle grinder?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Make that several cheap sockets, when I had the same problem the first two makes I tried cracked as they were either being hammered over the nut or when first being torqued to loosen.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

describe the type a little.

screwfix sell a set of special removal tools that do for some types.

most big tyre places have tools for emergency removal.

if you can identify the make and have the serial number you can buy a new tool, especially if they are oe.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Halfords do a tool, its like a socket with a left hand thread inside and you just! screw it on the nut.

Or why not just get a new adapter from you dealer

Reply to
Paul

Cold chisel and big hammer. Seriously.

Reply to
gazzafield

Buy a new nut or set of locking ones and take it to a tyre place. Might be worth taking proof of ownership of the car too. They're used to this sort of thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Excellent, I'll ring around then!

Thanks to everyone who's replied, I have had "technical issues" today so couldn't reply to everyone.

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

You got roadside assistance -- if so, deflate you tyre, call AA to replace the tyre...

Seriously -- ATS can remove the nut for you at a cost of £15..

Reply to
Alula

The AA won't remove it.

There was an old boy near me a while ago got a flat, and had lost the wheel nut adaptor.

- The AA man had a tool for removing locking wheel nuts (which damages them in the process) which didn't work, so in the end they towed him to a garage.

Reply to
xscope

"Alula" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com... : You got roadside assistance -- if so, deflate you tyre, call AA to replace : the tyre... : : Seriously -- ATS can remove the nut for you at a cost of £15.. : : :

Reply to
Joker7