looking @ 4x4s

You can have trouble seeing past a lot of vehicles if you stop 3 inches from their bumper, and you can have minimal trouble seeing past a lot of vehicles if you stop a bit further back, and position yourself accordingly, so that if you did need to pass, you could clearly see to do so.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You don't need a 4x4 for any of that, as others have said, a large people carrier type thing would be far more suitable for your needs.

Bear in mind that 4x4's have long travel, wallowy suspension, designed for going off road. A 4x4 will be far more unstable towing that a on-road vehicle the same weight.

4x4's also have far more whirly round bits that 2x4's, and therefore are less economical, compounded by the fact that the tyres tend to have more drag. 4x4's are also less practical, they tend to have big transmission tunnels, and high floors. A people carrier joby will usually have a completely flat, low, floor. Also most allow the rear seats to be removed completely (I don't know any 4x4's that do), giving excellent luggage carrying abilities. With a 4x4 you have to lift anything up to the higher floor, and the seats will get in the way of large loads. 4x4 handling is also different to a normal road car, they can be less stable, and in some ways less safe.

However.............

If what you are really after is the 'pose factor' of a 4x4, then Shoguns are a pretty good machine, as are Land Cruiser Amazons, and the ultimate (though I am biased a little!) has to be the Range Rover/Discovery (same vehicle, different skin). But forget about practicality and economy.

Reply to
SimonJ

Even so, it's not rocket science to stop a little further back, or position oneself such that one can see past them, in a traffic queue. I'm not on about leaving a bus length between you and the Chelsea Tractor (TM) in front, just a metre or two, and positioning yourself slightly to the right to get a view ahead. It's not like you're not aware of the big vehicle in front of you before you come to a halt.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Oh I don't dispute that. But they're a right pain when you can't see past them in a traffic queueueue. Mind yew the same applies to MPVs.

Reply to
Malc

Not in Bristol where they've made the lanes specially narrow on the M32 so that they can spend months and months and months doing apparently very little. And what if the vehicule in front positions themselves slightly to the right and so on. I've been driving for long enough to know about leaving adequate room between you and the vehicle in front to see round ;-)

Reply to
Malc

The message from "SimonJ" contains these words:

Or, in some cases, designed for pretending you might one day want to go off road.

Reply to
Guy King

Why a four wheel drive then? They're 'orrible (apart from the very expensive Toyota Landcruiser). I've been towing caravans all over Europe for years with fwd family cars,-Renault and Citroen. Needed a tow on two occasions only. Once on a beach. Second from the bottom end of a wet farm meadow. Frontera is probably the worst example of the marque you could consider. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

You are joking of course. A Zafira simply does not have the weight to make a serious towcar.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The LandCruiser was the only one I owned that was truly spacious. They all have high floors and big transmission tunnels that mean they are actually no larger than the average estate car inside.

I owned a series of 4x4s because I was a regular caravanner and needed the off-road traction to move my 'van across winter rally fields. If that's what you do, then a 4x4 is for you. I don't caravan so often now, so an MPV does the job far better for me now.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Na Seriously... It served us well with the horse Turd....

I didnt quite mean this though

More something like this

but with a tail board rather then horns.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Oh yes it does. And it's front heavy, which is good for a front drive car. Over 2 tons laden too.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The new one seems to have a kerb weight of 1500kg and a towing limit of

1200kg.
Reply to
Adrian

You really want to join the nuclear race.

"4x4 are safer than a normal car because they are heavier and stronger etc..." Therefore the higher amount of them on the roads makes the road less safe for the rest of us. Furthermore, why to all the mums who couldn't park there Rover 100 properly outside the school have to move up to a 4x4 which they couldn't park in an empty so**ing field without causing an obstruction.

/rant over

Reply to
a.n.other

Reply to
a.n.other
4 : door - Frontera / Maverick diesel around the 3k mark. : What sort of things should we be looking out for models to steer clear off. : All seem to be a round 2.4 litre what sort of mpg would one expect to get? : Just general motoring we are just going for a 4x4 as have a large family : and may need to do some towing.The normal will be 70% run town : 30% motorway. : : : Cheers : Chris : -- : Cheap As Chips Broadband
: : : : : Whoops..... I believe I have open a big can of worms here..... Ok let me try to answer some of the many question ask here as to why! Towing I have a bloody big 4 wheeled trailer I use sometimes for work similar to one shown here in a post ,the tranny I use is having trouble of late with it ( she's getting old) In the winter I will use it to pull boat out save on hiring a tractor as have been, used to use the tranny but she's not up to it anymore- ended up having to get a tractor to pull her out. Will not be used in-town as town but we are a bit more rural than Chelsea,but than my choice of transport hasn't a thing to do with anyone else.

Anyway...now thinking a long the lines of parero or shogun what are the thinking on them?

Bye the bye biofuel has anyone experimented with , and what are the thoughts on the hole idea for cooking oil as fuel.Seems to be lot's of deferent feelings on this from the bung it in- to 600ukp conversion kits.

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

Indeed, it's up to you what you spend your money on. Couldn't agree more.

Not sure what size they are tbh, but I'd definitely say go for one of the larger 4x4s, like Range Rover/Disco, as opposed to the Frontera/Freelander size. IMHO.

Not a big expert on this, but I know if not done properly it can clog up commonrail diesel injection systems, but in your budget you're unlikely to get a commonrail one. In fact, personally I'd forget diesels at this price and go LPG.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Another tranny would be far better for those uses than a 4x4.

Well if you ask for peoples opinions, don't be surprised when they give them!

Shoguns are a pretty good machine, but beware of some imports(pajero's) as you may struggle to get some parts for them.

Reply to
SimonJ

Heh, yup.

[1] Ok, here's the list of stuff I consider to be truly bloody woeful.

1- Vauxhall Frontera

2- Alfa 33 3- Alfa Arna 4- Fiat Strada with that 'orrible little 900cc? thing in 5- Allaggro 6- Marina 7- Mk3 onwards Escorts 8- Korean stuff, with the exception of the Hyundai Coupé thing, the 2.7 one. 9- Mk3 Granada 1.8 10- FWD Vauxhalls.
Reply to
Pete M

You can get everything if you know who to ask!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

"Pete M" wrote in message news:4409c88f$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org...

LOL... the 1.8 Granada.... I forgot about that one !!

Although back in't 70's I do remember oggling at the Granada Ghia Coupe

3.0... but with only bus fare and dinner money I couldn't afford one !!!
Reply to
Gingangooli