Manual hub conversions on 4x4s

Has there been anyone that has done this conversion (auto "USELESS" hubs to warn manual hubs) and approached Ford for some sort of possible reimbursement ? If so let me know what route you took to do so. I just recently changed my auto hubs to manual and they really work great much better than the auto plastic junky hubs. TIA

Reply to
Kurly

Reimbursement for 10 year old hubs??? Not too likely, I'd guess... even the manual hubs have been known to fail on occasion and once they are off their warranty period, they are off their warranty period.

HTH.

Jim Warman

Reply to
Kurly

Kurly, if you're a machinist, why not make a replacement part for the plastic part? You only need to make two. I own an old '91 which has the original nylon parts, which get soft whenever the hubs get warm. I'm a home machinist and have seriously considered machining a new set of replacement parts; a good aluminum allow (2024, or 7075) should work nicely. I use my 4x4 almost exclusively for slipery roads (not serious mud or deep sand), and I do like the one button push 4x4.

Mike

Reply to
Tiger

why make 2, when you could sell them on eBay? ;-) I'd buy a pair...

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

On the surface, what you're suggesting is a great idea; I'ld be very interrested in buying a set myself.

However....... I strongly suspect that Ford and/or Warner has one or more patents on these pieces. Selling them anywhere would likely get you into lots of hot leagal water and buying the leagal rights to make them as an aftermarket part may be more trouble then most individuals want to get into.

Mike

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to