MAF question and no answer, anyone got a BMW with a MAF?

Sorry I'm not making much progress with this, but....

I wonder if anyone has, or knows anyone with a BMW 535i M5 (E39); or

735 i, or iL (E38), or Z8 (E52)and would be willing to check the MAF sensor's Bosch part number?

This is not the housing number, I already know that, but the Bosch part number on the side of the actual insert or sensor please. One plug to undo and two screws to get it out and check the number on the side.

I think it should be Bosch F00C2G2029, but just need to confirm that please, pretty please.

If you might be curious as to why...

Bosch charge a wopping £160 plus for a replacement MAF and will not sell the sensor alone, but with the housing complete. The sensor is the F00C2G2029, which I can get in the BMW housing, if it is the correct item, for just £78.

Just trying to beat Bosch at their own game lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Isn't there a BMW forum somewhere where you'd get owners ready to do this, and share the knowledge?

Reply to
Adrian C

There is a very good E39 group on Yahoo Groups. US based, but some very knowledgeable people read it. Being US based the majority of the cars are V8s - unlike in the UK. Although I'm not sure if the 535 was sold in the US - seems to be mainly 540s and M5s.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) used his keyboard to write :

I'm just trying to avoid joining yet another forum 8-o

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

apparently the 2032 version also works ok. here is a pattern one for only 44.50:

Mrcheerful

Thanks anyway, but the pattern parts and fakes are well known to be bad news. That particular one suggests it matches the 029 and 032. The difference in fuel consumption between the two is 4%, yet it suggests it covers many more.

Even my old MAF will likely be more accurate than one of those.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield pretended :

I now have the answer - it does indeed contain the Bosch 029 sensor. Next step is to buy one and check its output against standard 029 figures for our cars.

£160 for the MAF housing plus 029 sensor for our cars, £75 for the BMW version of an housing, with hopefully, the same 029 sensor.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

103 quid
Reply to
Fred The Shred

Fred The Shred submitted this idea :

Which might or might not be genuine and lots are faked. Bosch only sell them in a housing, these are not in a housing, so is it or is it not a Bosch?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It says "Genuine" enough times in the listing that if it turns out not to be, they really can't do anything but refund you.

Reply to
Adrian
.

FWIW...

I bought an Idle valve from e-bay for my olde Audi thinking that was the problem. Made no difference as the "new" one was s**te!. Looked OK but wasn't.

Got one from a breaker and no problems at all since then:)

A garage bloke told me they had a skip full of duff chinkie parts that had been fitted by other garages...

Reply to
tony sayer

True, but we have our eye on a one supplied by a company with a reputation to loose, which is both much cheaper and in a (wrong) housing.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

tony sayer presented the following explanation :

Exactly, we have the same problem with cheap imported parts and faked big name parts. Buy cheap, buy twice, unless the cheap source offers the genuine part. Fake suspension parts, fake brake parts, fake MAF's, fake mobile batteries. Some only last weeks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm not sure that it would matter if a 'fake' - although obviously these vary in quality.

My E39 eats the heater speed control SMPS (hedgehog) and the present one - which has lasted by far the longest - is a far east 'fake'. And was much cheaper than a genuine one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And some are better than the originals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1

I now also track down original parts.

Some convincing web sites will claim OEM quality but a 'compatible' brake light switch from Euro Car Parts was found made of cheese (FAE - Barcelona) compared with the genuine stocked by VW. Threw 10 quid down the drain on that one ;-(

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I agree that not all far east stuff is rubbish, but how do you tell the rubbish from the decent?

Several of us have bought 'genuine' MAF's and found them to be far worse than the one they are replacing. The correct MAF has an ASIC inside it which translates values via a look-up table, to feed to the ECU, and carefully calibbrated. They are much more complex than you might at first assume.

Not something you would get in a fake, or even a good copy. Likely the ECU's default table for a failed MAF would be more accurate than a fake item.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Indeed. Just don't like the common view that only maker's parts are any good. Since they often source from several makers anyway. And then add on a huge profit margin. I was charged 50 quid for a boot lock motor on my BMW. Opening up the failed one showed something which probably cost a few pennies to make. Absolute crap.

All of which another could copy if they really wanted to.

Well if it's all so complex, why are you baulking about paying for a genuine spare?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Simply because we are being charged over twice as much by Bosch for the very same part, but supplied for a different car - same part, both made by Bosch, both absolutely genuine.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They early outcome on a sample of one, is that the sensor is the correct part number and it is producing the correct results, which suggests Bosch is probably spinning us a few lies about the sensors being calibrated to the housings.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield