Mazda 6 Strange Noise Identification

Hi all

As the title, I have a Mazda 6 54 plate which is making a strange intermittent noise. The sound is between a beep and a poop and sounds a bit like a dry bearing catching every second or two. It only happens occasionally, but did seem a little louder today - probably a month since I last heard it.

The sound does not seem engine or road speed related i. e. it happens when the car is stationary and idling, but does not change when the engine is revved or the car is travelling - so not brake pads and not driven from the crankshaft presumably.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what it might be or how to narrow the search? Chances are it won't be there at lunch time.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Aircon compressor or some sort of valve?

Reply to
JB

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "TheScullster" saying something like:

You have a beepus-beepus nesting under your dash. I suggest calling Wile E. Coyote immediately.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I had an odd noise (on an escort diesel) somewhat similar recently, a tiny stone was stuck in the alternator belt! never seen it before and probably never will again.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

TheScullster laid this down on his screen :

I had what sounded like a very quiet trickling water noise from what I thought was around the bulkhead. It took several thousands of miles before I worked out the noise was just a squeak from between dash panels, due to slight body movement. A thumb on the dash stopped it instantly. Could your problem be something similar?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote

Thanks Harry

I have experienced that exact same sound on occasions - quite disconcerting! Looking around the car for running water source.

But no, this is something completely different although similarly unrelated to engine speed. Last time I heard it, it seemed louder and is definitely more audible outside the car.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

something which can make odd noises at odd intervals is the exhaust recirculation system, old fiestas make all sorts of strange puffing noises when cold which can be traced to the recirc system. In your case I would try removing the auxiliary belt and run the engine to see if the noise still occurs.

Reply to
Mrcheerful