mechanics poll - which engines are least reliable?

I'd rather do bodies than engines - not as dirty, and I can make my own repair sections. Granted they do take longer!

Echoed.

Older ones _are_ better... ditto Saab before GM.

Another echo - except I like the Honda-Rovers too.

I'm unashamedly a classic nut, and it's beginning to save me money. My other half has just agreed that, having already replaced the engine, cat, all brakes & discs, all shocks and the rear springs, and alternator, it makes far more sense to convert her thirsty old Previa to LPG and give it some body tlc than to trade it - we need the space and pulling power, and what else can match it? OK a 91 Prev is hardly a classic, but 11 of the other 13 cars in the garden are older...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Not unusual for platinum tips. We had a Carina which we bought near the replacement mileage and insisted they were done before purchase (I think we screwed that salesman into the ground!). Next service was done by a different mail dealer who changed the plugs without asking - they were not very happy when we refused to pay for them and insisted they change them back!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Maybe true, but they were incredibly reliable. My dad always regretted px'ing his for an Escort. I was impressed when I borrowed it to go on a camping holiday with my gf (now wife) and returned 51mpg. And he never did find where I'd scraped it against a wooden post - it was a bit stressful trying to find a Nissan dealer in Wales while on holiday in the early 80s to get the right paint though!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

mrcheerful. ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

But not any other VAG brand?

That one is going to be the most useful...

Reply to
Adrian

mrcheerful . ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I spot a contradiction?

Reply to
Adrian

no, the cars I work on have normal size exhaust pipes and wheels

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

no, no problem with normal vw, Audi etc. perhaps it is the lingering remembrance of changing a rear engined skoda throttle cable that puts me off, or is it because of the mean people that the cheaper brand names attract?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

mrcheerful. ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Heh. How many of *them* are left...?

Balance that against the brand/badge-centric people that spend 50% more for the same car and buy Audis...

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

Talking of chavs - a friend and I were wondering if there'd be a market for big-check clothes for dolls. We reckoned Burberry Barbie might be a winner.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You're too slow.

"The retail price for Burberry Barbie will be approximately $79.99 and will be available in May in select stores nationwide."

Hah!

"The retail price for Burberry Barbie will be approximately £49.99? Not 'ere - not even £19.99, not £10.99, not even £7.99 - I'm cuttin' me own froat 'ere - ONLY £4.99 and will be available in April from dodgy market stalls nationwide." more like.

Reply to
Adrian

problem is that skoda drivers are mean Audi drivers are not. For instance: A neighbour of mine has a skoda, last winter they asked me for a jump start, which I gave, I also checked the charging and battery and found the battery was the original seven year old one, and it was u/s, I suggested they have a new battery, but when I said it would be about 30 quid, they nearly had a heart attack, you don't get that reaction from more expensive brand owners (in my experience)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Nah - that's only trimmed. I was thinking of a more all-over look. Just like chavs and their cars, they seem to think that if some=good then more=better.

Then again - perhaps this...

Guy King

they

Ever thought that might be because they have more money? You seem like a bit of a dick, maybe that's why they didn't want the battery.

Reply to
neutron

The message from Peter Hill contains these words:

What scares me is how much cam-belts cost per mile. Over a halfpenny a mile for even a cheap car.

Reply to
Guy King

That's why my father doesn't believe in changing them.....

He buys a half-decent second hand car and sells it when the service is due! - He claims the money he saves pays for the upgrade to a newer vehicle.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

I rather doubt my Honda dealership would dare to charge £360 for mine. Last time I saw a "menu price", it was just over the £200 mark, I think.

Reply to
John Laird

Eh? If I get 40k out of my cambelt it will cost me 0.03p per mile. Or

0.08p if I include what I gave my mate for fitting it... [maths question - how much did I pay for the belt and how much did I give my mate? ]
Reply to
Chris Bolus

My cambelt is under £40 and I can fit one in under 2 hours. I'm sure I could get it done for about £100, there are still places that charge £50/hr. While some franchised dealers of "quality" cars charge £120/hr and more for those who can afford it and like to pay over the odds - seem to have some idea that they won't get a proper job if it doesn't cost. Tensioner rollers and water pump will add £100 to cost.

Reply to
Peter Hill

In article , Guy King writes

But Barbie's /so/ last year!

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The message from John Laird contains these words:

Highly variable, innit. Renault's price for the lowly Clio is £300. Considerably more for some models.

Reply to
Guy King