Mercedes Benz rear suspension

My 190E was running low on the rear. O/S slightly lower than N/S. I have replaced both rear road springs and the N/S has risen to the correct height. The O/S however is still too low. The bottom of the rear arch is about level with the top of the tyre. The N/S has about 40mm clearance and looks level front to rear. Any ideas what could be causing the O/S to be low?

BTW both springs were brand new and the same. They were both about 30mm longer than the old ones. The wishbone and top seat on the body were in tact as was the rubber seat on the spring. Both were fitted the same way up as came off with the flat link to the top, inside the rubber seat.

It does not have SLS.

The opposite front corner is high, but this is obviously due to the rear being low. The front does drop when pushing it down, so it is unlikely that this is holding it up. All the dampers seem to be working normally. Is there any adjustment on the wishbones?

Reply to
a.n.other

Yes. It's the FRONT O/S spring that's weak: the car body is rigid, and if one side is down at the rear, then the same side at the front must be down. This is not a theory, it's something I've experienced quite a few times in my 35 years in the trade. HTH

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Actually the front N/S is high although sitting on the wing squares it all up.

Reply to
a.n.other