micra k10 engine races

Any micra k10 enthusiasts out there? Mine is 1988, 75k miles, has been running nicely. But since recently, when I press the accelerator pedal more than about halfway down it seems to stick wide open. Scary -- the car continues accelerating even tho' I release the pedal! The only way to slow down is to turn the ignition off, declutch and coast. When the engine has stopped I can switch on again and it runs normal, until I press the accelerator past halfway and it sticks open again! I've squirted wd40 on all the linkages, and the cable seems to move freely, anyone experienced similar? ff

Reply to
ff

it has a carburettor, you will find it is a twin choke arrangement and PROBABLY the second choke is sticking open. it is a likely to be question of cleaning the carb as necessary and freeing the sticking bit. You may find that repeated spraying with wd40 and using the car hard may clear the problem

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yes, I suspected the second choke, but I've taken the carb off and its bits seem to move freely enough. Is the second choke flap opened by suction from the engine, and closed by the circular springs round the shaft? Maybe I could bodge it with an extra spring somehow?

Reply to
ff

Bodge = bad. Can't you find a carb off another similar car from a scrap yard?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

If it is a vacuum secondary then it probably is just gunged up. Just make sure it all moves very freely and is clean, it should then work, extra springing would not match when it is supposed to work

Reply to
MrCheerful

In news: snipped-for-privacy@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, ff typed: | Any micra k10 enthusiasts out there? Mine is 1988, 75k miles, has been | running nicely. But since recently, when I press the accelerator pedal | more than about halfway down it seems to stick wide open. Scary -- the | car continues accelerating even tho' I release the pedal! The only way | to slow down is to turn the ignition off, declutch and coast. When the | engine has stopped I can switch on again and it runs normal, until I | press the accelerator past halfway and it sticks open again! I've | squirted wd40 on all the linkages, and the cable seems to move freely, | anyone experienced similar? | ff

Can you give me some information on the micra. I have just picked an old

1988 Micra up with 130,000 miles.

Do you race these car's ?

Reply to
Baldoni XXV REX ROMANORUM

In news: snipped-for-privacy@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, ff typed: | Any micra k10 enthusiasts out there? Mine is 1988, 75k miles, has been | running nicely. But since recently, when I press the accelerator pedal | more than about halfway down it seems to stick wide open. Scary -- the | car continues accelerating even tho' I release the pedal! The only way | to slow down is to turn the ignition off, declutch and coast. When the | engine has stopped I can switch on again and it runs normal, until I | press the accelerator past halfway and it sticks open again! I've | squirted wd40 on all the linkages, and the cable seems to move freely, | anyone experienced similar? | ff

My apologies for earlier post regarding "races" it was not an attempt to be funny on my part.

Reply to
Baldoni XXV REX ROMANORUM