'88 Sentra engine oscillation?

I have a 1988 Sentra with the 1.6L fuel-injected engine, manual transmission. Here's what's happening (it's kinda long-winded so please bear with me): the car starts and runs fine up to about 2000 or 2500 RPM (guessing based on engine noise). At that point, it starts oscillating between that RPM and what sounds like idle about twice a second: "vroom...vroom...vroom...vroom", like the throttle is being pumped, even though the accelerator pedal is held at a steady pressure. If I press the gas pedal more, it just keeps doing it (the revving/idle oscillation), not sounding any different, until I let it go back to lower RPMs, where it runs fine again.

Another strange thing is that it seems to be RPM-related, since if I'm in, say, 4th gear, I can floor the pedal and it accelerates fine up to about 40 or 45 MPH, which is the speed it goes when the engine is at about 2000-2500 RPM, at which point the oscillation starts again (makes for a mighty jerky ride, too). It doesn't happen all the time though; sometimes the car runs just fine and I can rev the engine all the way up to around its redline (no tach so can't say for sure) without the oscillation starting again. I've not been able to pin down the specific conditions that cause it to happen. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it has this problem. I thought it might be temperature related, but it's happened on cool and hot days, with the engine both cool and hot as well.

I've replaced the air and fuel filters and changed the oil in the last couple of days trying to pin this problem down, but it hasn't helped. I'm assuming it's not a timing issue (slipped or loose belt or chain) since it doesn't happen constantly.

In an attempt to track down the source of the problem, I've taken off the cover for the air filter and looked down into the intake as I pull on the accelerator cable manually. When I run the engine up, I can see the butterfly valve move with the throttle, and that valve does not oscillate when the problem starts happening. Instead, I can see what must be the fuel/air mixture coming from the injector housing (I think that's what it is) in the middle of the intake throat, and it looks almost like that is what is fluctuating. I.e. the throttle valve stays constant but the injector seems to be oscillating between putting enough fuel/air in and not enough; I can see the gas running across the surface of the butterfly valve, and the amount seems to oscillate.

If anyone has some ideas on what to go after next, I'd sure appreciate it. I'm hoping to avoid having to take it into a mechanic. Might it be a problem with the injector (dirty injector maybe)? Clogged fuel lines? Some kind of air intake problem? I have a replacement PCV valve, but haven't installed it yet (can't seem to find where it goes on the engine... :-/). Anyway, any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks, ~Sam

Reply to
Sam Lewallen

Get a fuel pressure test done when it's doing it. If the pressure fluctuates it's either pump, pressure regulator or pump power signal from the ECU.

Peter Hill

Thanks for the advice. I think I may have solved the problem; I found the following on a Google search:

Question: 1988 Nissan Sentra 4 cyl mileage: 120000. Car sputters and jerks/lurches in a rhythmic fashion (like I'm revving the engine even though I am applying constant pressure to the accelerator). Typically does it when I get to above 40 mph, but has done it accelerating from a dead stop and other speeds as well. Also, doesn't do it all the time. Have changed fuel filter & replaced air flow sensor. Nothing. Mechanic has said it is neither "gunk"/moisture in the gas tank, nor fuel injector problems. We are at the point of fishing...HELP!

Answer: The three things we would check would be the ignition module, the pick-up coil and the O2 sensor.

The oxygen sensor appealed to me as a good place to start, since it's easy to get to. I pulled the old one this evening, and it definately needed replacing. It's blackened, and the slits that let the exhaust gas go through the sensor are nearly swollen shut. I put in the new one, started it up, and immediately noticed that it's running smoother, with quicker response to the accelerator pedal. I took it for a long drive around the block, taking it up to about 50 MPH and revving the engine frequently with the clutch in, and the oscillation did not reappear. Doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed, of course, but I have a good feeling about this. I'll keep watching it for the next couple of days and hopefully the problem won't come back. Thanks again for your response.

~Sam

Reply to
Sam Lewallen

Well, that wasn't it; back to the same problem today. Next on the chopping block is the fuel pump and distributor... People at work have suggested that the injector might be clogged, but it looks like a little more of a chore to pull that out and inspect it (requires new gaskets, etc.) and I'm limited by the fact that I have to keep driving my car to make it to work and school, not to mention it's my only real transportation to the auto parts store! Anyway, I'll keep plugging at it.

~Sam

Reply to
Sam Lewallen