micra windscreen repace

High speed stone from HVG just cracked my Micra windscreen. There's a small point of impact hole but then a 7 inch crack running from it. THe cracl ins not in the line of sight from driving but I suppose a MOT failure.

Is fitting a new windscreen something I can do myself (I've done a reasonable amount of car maint - but never a windscreen.) If so any suggestion as to get one from appreciated. (What would be a reasonable cost?) Thanks

Reply to
mike

mike (mike@127.0.0.1) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Forget it. If it's bonded, it's impossible. If it's an old-style gasket- mount, then it's merely an utter bastard. Even if you can find the glass.

First off check your insurance for windscreen cover. It doesn't hit your NCB, and it doesn't count as a claim. Usually a £50 excess.

If it's not covered, pick up yellow pages and ring around the *small guys*, not the big national chains.

Reply to
Adrian

mike wrote in news:qt5n33p2qpv60hp56kfr11dn1ns85muvd6@

4ax.com:

Wouldn't your insurance cover this sort of thing?

Reply to
Tunku

That's what I thought. Checked it - and there's a £75 excess!!! Ah well. I bet a new one'll cost ££74.99

Reply to
mike

mike wrote in news:fqbn335g5iund0ckfo38gh1r7jb4oevbpv@

4ax.com:

Used to be a flat rate £50 as Adrian mentioned. I have noticed insurance companies have been putting it up a bit recently, probably because of increased costs anyway, but also due to the fancy screens and the way they are stuck on now. Also probably due to people invoking it for minor blemishes that would easily pass an MOT, but annoys them because their P&J is not perfect. :-)

Reply to
Tunku

Depends. It's removing the old one which is the difficult part. When they were toughened and shattered it was easy. Once it's out, fitting the new is pretty straightforward - although best to have a second pair of hands. Of course on an old car there may be rust damage to the bodywork to contend with.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you've got the window mobile fitters are often very cheap though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I bet it will cost a lot more. And since a windscreen is a critical safety component in modern cars, why take chances? Just get it done on the insurance.

Reply to
asahartz

Your bet would often be wrong, except for front-heated windscreens.

Get a copy of the free 'motormart weekly', or whatever other local rag may be in your area, and dial-up a few.

It's a micra, so I'm guessing it's just a bog-standard windscreen. It will be between £40 and £60, very likely £40 or so from experience mind you.

This also gives you the advantage that you don't have to tell your insurance company about it, as some insurance companies say it doesn't affect your NCB, but can legally put your premium up anyway all the same.

Remember the magic numbers, £40 or £50 ;-) Good luck.

Reply to
graydoe

I got one for my 7 series BMW for =A3130ish, tinted, heated and with a rain sensor. Fitted it myself and it was easier than doing a rubber gasket one. I had to use an air gun to apply the adhesive and you need to have some clue as to what you're doing.

Reply to
adder1969