Chip off the old cop

We went to B&Q for a new fitting as she is complaining about the kitchen being in darkness, and returned along the local motorway.

Pulling up the slip road in the 110, the sound of a police siren became audible over the mighty roar of the engine and the rattles, and I pulled over to the extreme right of the slip road to let him or her shoot past up the hard shoulder with flashing lights blazing.

As he passed there was a very loud bang as a stone from his wheels hit my windscreen, and there is now what looks from both the inside and outside like a chip about a half inch in diameter, although both sides of the screen feel smooth. The chip is in the arc below the swept area of the tiny wipers.

I've been talked out of going to the local police station, but would anyone else bother?

On a practical note, is it likely that this chip will grow and cause trouble in future?

Reply to
Bill

Bill uttered summat worrerz funny about:

As far as the definition of a Road traffic accident is concerned this is an accident.

You should report it as the other driver didn't stop, reasonably as they are most likely unaware.

You should have a claim but proving it is another thing.

The Force concerned may be willing to come to an arrangement regardless , if you don't speak to them you will never know.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Don't most insurance policies include windscreen replacement with no effect on your no claims disc. etc.?

Any damage to the windscreen is liable to get worst given the right (or wrong!) conditions - so if you can get it sorted for free, then I'd get it sorted - but if not I wouldn't worry too much about it - personally I've never seen a windscreen chip do anything other than sit there being annoying!

I have seen someone (was it Autoglass?) advertising windscreen repair by injecting a resin into the crack. It was only a few quid if you're that concerned it may get worse.

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

In news:Azk%i.163$ snipped-for-privacy@nntpserver.swip.net, Matt M wibbled :

Most (Many) insurance companies include that feature on their comprehensive policies, however, for replacement there is a not insubstantial excess, £75 on my policy, but it doesn't incura 'claim' repairs though are without excess, there are limits to what can be repaired but stone chips usually can but, as in our case, 3" hairline cracks can't.

Reply to
GbH

In message , Bill writes

First chip I had repaired, I took it into a local workshop - I think it was Autoglass and they did an excellent job - it was virtually invisible. Subsequent 2 chips have been done by a portable unit from RAC and they are crap - you wouldn't know it had been done if you hadn't stood and seen them do it.

Chip repairs are provided free with no impact on your NCD by most insurers and if so you would have no real grounds for a claim IMHO.

If it's not repairable then normally you will have an excess to pay - but it really depends on reading the small print.

First step I would say is find out if the chip is repairable and if so have it done PDQ. If not then a polite approach to local police can do no harm but talk to your insurers first, they may be able to offer some guidance

Reply to
hugh