Mileage verification?

Exactly right.

Where does it mention wear?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's generally something you'd do at pad change time? Not much point in fitting new pads to a worn out disc?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No idea, m8. I don't do modern cars, let alone current models.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom
[...]

Oh, I know when to do it. I know how to do it. I know exactly how long it takes. (Especially on a Focus - it was all I owned for 17 years.)

I was just challenging Cursitor Doom's ridiculous assertion that it could be done 'literally in a minute or less'.

FWIW, I change discs every other pad change because regardless of wear limits, by that time the discs are grooved enough to cause some piston knock-back.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'm also not your m8.

The odour of troll assails my nostrils - goodbye.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Where does it exclude failure because wear is the cause, or one of the causes, of the "seriously weakened" disc?

Please note I did *not* state or imply that the threshold for MoT failure was the same as the manufacturer's recommended minimum disc thickness.

Reply to
Robin
[...]

Oh, it doesn't. But other contributors to this thread appear to think so.

So you're not an MOT mechanic who also does repairs then? ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ah, sorry, missed that angle.

Reply to
Robin

Then go forth and sin no more, my Son. Take up thy dodgy micrometer and dodgy car and walk, mate.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's my point. Why are garages replacing only pads when they should be doing both bearing in mind there's a markup to be had plus a bit more time?

Reply to
Scott M

On some its a nightmare.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Can only be your own BO?

Unless you have Smell-O-Vision of course?

Reply to
Fredxxx

But he's an idiot. ;-)

Same here. I've seen the results of a vented disc breaking up through wear, and don't fancy it for the sake of a few quid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On a modern car?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not really. The only discs that I have ever had actual difficulty with changing were: Late transit and Rover 620 (both had inside discs)

Focus are one of the very easiest to change. Why anyone would replace pads alone, on a vaguely modern car, is hard to understand.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yes - inboard discs are likely to be more difficult to change than those in the wheels.

On my last BMW which had the wear limit engrave on the disc hub, it got through two sets of pads to one disc. All was easy to change with the exception of one bolt on the caliper carrier which wouldn't take a socket with the suspension hanging down. So you had to check the torque setting with the suspension loaded.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some Mitsubishis have the disc driveshaft side, so the hub has to come off.

Its not a 10 minute job.

Reply to
Fredxxx

For the Transit MK7 the hub has to be pulled out of the carrier too.

You can use long M10 bolts to assist its removal.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Despite being a very young vehicle the bearing carrier was incredibly tight (with rust) to get out.

On the Rover 620 the problem was the drive shaft, it was rusted solid in the spline department, I had to make up a solid plate across the wheel studs, tighten against that and then give it almighty whacks to get it to move, it fought all the way, and the sweat was pouring.

Reply to
MrCheerful