New Ghia Pans

They are Danish pans and arrived today. I stripped the paint off of a small area and measured the thickness with a micrometer. They are .040" thick. I tried to measure the old ones (which are very rusty) and the best I can tell they seem to be about .060" thick. I ordered the pans from California Import Parts. I assume that that is the best I can get. I thought that I'd post the measurments in case anyone else is interested.

I tried using "Tal-Strip" to remove the paint on them to prepare for POR-15, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is there another paint stripper that might work better? Tal-Stip works great on the original

1966 Ghia paint.
Reply to
Wilfred Johnson

ilambert

Paint on replacement, aftermarket sheetmetal body parts is nothing but cheap-ass storage paint to prevent surface rust.

Ideally you would take it all off and sandblast or otherwise prep it for PROPER paint.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Becuase it's cheap "storage paint" to stop the pans from rusting during transit. You should remove it.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose