Mini ran fine month ago now wont startup

20 year old austin mini hasn't been started for a month. It ran fine then, but now doesn't want to fire up.

There was plenty of life in the battery, so we gave it a good hammering with the choke out then pushed it in half way to prevent flooding. Still no joy. Petrol is a plenty. Now battery is flat and we are recharging it.

Any tips please on the correct procedure to encourage it to get going again. Thanks.

Reply to
johngood_____

it is probably flooded with fuel. Take the air filter off and lift the piston in the carb, get an assistant to spin it over with the accellerator pressed to the floor, this should blow through any excess fuel. the try to start it without choke. If all that fails then take the plugs out and give it a spin over, either warm all the plugs with a blow torch to dry them out or put new ones in, repeat starting. If it still doesn't go then you need to check for sparks.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Why did you try to prevent flooding immediately after doing your best to flood it?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Clean up the faces of the points with some sandpaper.

Reply to
Conor

Is it getting a spark?

Reply to
Abo

That's always my first test when any of my Minis fail to start. The electrics are very suspect. Although 20 years old is young for a Mini!

They are, as you rightly point out, prone to flooding. So, having ensured that you have a spark, the next technique (rarely fails, this) is to take the plugs out and burn the tips clean with a blowtorch, then put them back in while they are still hot.

They are simple cars to fix. I repaired my '67 Elf on the hard shoulder of the M180 near Scunny on Sunday; it died suddenly, so I took the dizzy cap off to check for a spark. No spark when manuallly opening the points, no spark when bridging the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. Check fuses, then spot that a wire has broken on the coil. Strip the end, trap it under the spade terminal, off we go!

Reply to
asahartz

Do everything that has been suggested. Also take off distributor cap , clean it and DRY it

Reply to
harv

Do everything that has been suggested. Also take off distributor cap ,

Many thanks to all. ( with the possible exception of 'Mr angry; doing your best to flood it'. what does he mean, I wonder?)

Have just taken the distributor cap off to check for wet and after putting it back the ignition light didn't come on. I jiggled (is that a technical term) all the low voltage wires around the distributor and the ignition light now comes on feintly. Life is not easy for a novice...sigh

Reply to
johngood_____

"There was plenty of life in the battery, so we gave it a good hammering with the choke out": can /you/ think of a better way to flood it than giving it a good hammering with the choke out? Kids these days, all spoiled by fuel injection, don't know what a choke does, mutter mutter mutter ...

Coo. That's interesting. Because the "ignition" warning light doesn't have anything to do with the ignition circuit - it's actually controlled by the alternator. I am wondering if your engine earth is up the spout?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Have just cleaned the wire connections and the ignition light has now come on brightly. It wanted to fire up a couple of times making a big banging/farting noise. Still no joy though.

Reply to
johngood_____

have you removed the plug leads? they must go back in the right order or it will make banging noises and not run

Reply to
Mrcheerful

plug leads only taken off one at a time, so i dont think they could be muddled. there is a spark at the plug. clean and dried distributor cap. choke cable is connected. plenty of petrol in the tank.

when a RAC man got it going for us a long time ago, he took out an aerosol and squirted masses of it into the air intake. is it worth me getting such an aerosol whatsit ?

Reply to
johngood_____

In message , johngood_____ writes

Probably WD40, can get cans of this at most garages and any car parts place

Reply to
leo

Probably "easy start". If it has been standing for a long time then the petrol may have gone off and be quite difficult to get started on, although once going and a bit warm it will burn it reasonably.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Is there petrol at the carb?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

fine then, but now doesn't want to fire up.

Is there petrol at the carb?

When we took the plugs out they were wet and smelled of petrol. Hence i though enough petrol would be getting up there. Is that a fair assumption, or should i check further on the petrol front?

Reply to
johngood_____

Engines can get addicted to Easy Start - a strange thing to say, but true. I wouldn't use it unless really essential. There must be some other problem.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Plugs wet & smelling of petrol = flooded. You're getting petrol through. You have a spark. Have you tried heating the plugs as I suggested? Always works for me, and I have four Minis.

Reply to
asahartz