Mk IV Astra Club, heater/overheating problem

Hey all,

My MkIV Astra club takes ages to heat up, and only then when it's been up at decent revs for a while (ie, doing 70 on the m'way for a while). As soon as I stop/bring the revs down, it goes back to being cold. What a f***ing pain at the moment, getting into a cold car for an hour's journey at 7am, when it's below freezing outside!

I'm not sure if it's related, but also, even on short journeys, my engine seems to be overheating, and it easily gets to the 90-100 oC range, and the fan comes on.

Any thoughts?

TIS, DSt.

Reply to
DSt

has it got enough coolant in?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Erm, aye, right you are. Coolant tank looks empty.

Yes, I'm a novice. ;)

Would this affect the heater also, or just the overheating? I can sort the coolant out with a trip to Halford's...

Cheers, DSt.

Reply to
DSt

The message from "DSt" contains these words:

Both. Though it might be a good idea to find the cause of the water loss!

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks, mrcheerful.

The coolant tank appears to be empty.

Yes, I'm an idiot. ;)

I'm having a look at the manual, to see what kind of coolant I need, but it's a bit confusing, as it states that the coolant is glycol-based, yet you can top up with water and/or anti-freeze? Is this something I should be doing myself, or get the garage to do it? I realise the tank shouldn't be empty in the first place, so...?

Incidentally, I've been looking for a decent garage in/around the Edinburgh area...can anyone recommend? Looks like I might need one sharpish...!

DSt.

Reply to
DSt

You should top up with anything you can rather than run very low. Any car shop will sell suitable antifreeze, even your Vauxhall dealer will have the right stuff.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thus spake DSt ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Low coolant means not enough will be getting to the engine to cool it down, nor getting through to the heater element to heat it up.

Reply to
A.Clews

Well, I've topped it up and it's working fine - so, down to the garage I guess to find out why it's leaking, if I can't find the cause myself (highly unlikely, since I didn't realise it was in the first place).

Thanks for the help, all, much appreciated,

Dst.

Reply to
DSt