Getting ECU fault codes read

I have a Vauxhall Astra P reg 1.6i 16v GLS which has the warning lamp coming on, i was wondering does it really have to be taken to a Vauxhall main dealer, or can i take it to other garages that have the equipment?

Thanks.

Reply to
du

I have a Vauxhall Astra P reg 1.6i 16v GLS which has the warning lamp coming on, i was wondering does it really have to be taken to a Vauxhall main dealer, or can i take it to other garages that have the equipment?

Thanks.

Reply to
du

almost any garage has a fault code reader, you can buy your own cheaply, or even persuade your unit to reveal its codes using a simple bit of wire, look round the internet for details and lists of the codes revealed.

mostly, Vauxhall codes are the camshaft sensor (if appropriate).

firstly though I would recommend going round every connector under the bonnet and undo it and clean it and spray it with some wd40 or similar before carefully reassembling it. this procedure may well cure the problem, especially the cam sensor code!!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Take a look at the diagnostic plug (fusebox AFAIK) and look at pin 6. If it has a metal terminal you're laughing, if not, you need to take it to a dealer.

If it has a terminal in pin 6, use a piece of wire to short it to ground, then turn the ignition to II (just before crank). The ECU will start flashing out the codes, ignoring the first brief flash. The first set of flashes are to be counted in tens, the second set in single units. A long pause seperates each code. Once you have the codes, I'm sure Google will help you out.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I went to a mate of mine who had a fault finder so I reckon you try a normal garage or mechanic just ask them if they have the fault finder. I have also seen them for sale in Halfords

Reply to
sgtbash

You can read them using the "paperclip" method.This involves connecting two terminals together with a paperclip. I've not tried it but Google will find the details for you. You cannot reset them like this I hasten to add.

Reply to
a.n.other

Be warned, the Halfords / Gunsen reader for vauxhall (certainly for the Cavalier) was a paperclip. Ok, nice box, nice connector and a nice switch to short two pins on the connector together, but that was it - basically a dead short between pin and ground.

£18?, hmmm, google for the paper-clip method.

(wonders why he bought a £130 reader for the Omega...)

Reply to
Mike Dodd