trivial door light problem - Golf Mk IV

Howdy,

This is a bit daft, but its been annoying me. The little light in the door of my 02 Golf mk IV doesn't come on. I got a bit confused about what was going on, because I got voltage up to the bulb itself, and the bulb is fine. I ended up pushing the whole piece into the passenger door where it works perfectly, but the passenger door unit doesn't work in the driver's door.

So possibly the switch that detects if the door is open is playing up?

But where the heck is the switch - I can't see it for the life of me. :)

Any thoughts.

Cheers.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

It's in the door latch. Does the lights-on alarm work if you open the door?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I just checked. Headlights on, key removed, door open - no sounds. I din't know there was one. :)

You're thinking a fuse?

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Maybe- you should check, but my money's on the switch. The lights-on alarm uses it too.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

And you say the switch is on the door latch?

Sorry to be thick, you mean that black triangular cavity on the edge of the actual door, about a metre off the ground, that marries up with the silver "U" shaped bit on the door frame.

How do I get at the switch? I had a bit of a look, but couldn't see anything switch-like. :)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

On 18-Mar-08 18:03:37, Angus Manwaring said

Chris? Hello, hello? :)

Another thing, an obvious point that I should have noticed but didn't, the indicator under the speedo that show's if a door is open does not work for the driver's door. It does for the passenger one of course.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Switch inside the door lock then. Or the cable to it. Get a cheap door trim removal tool, take the trim off & you can see the mechanism. Or you can get the official service manual from erwin with decent pictures unlike HBOL.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hello!

I'm back. Yes, that's it: The bit that actually holds the door closed. I'm not sure if you can buy the switch seperately. It's *inside* the latch, I believe.

Sounds like the switch then. Maybe you should get the trim panel off, identify the wires and bridge them to confirm it?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Duncan Wood wrote: [snip]

Erwin is pretty good: there's also the dodgy Ebay CD solution.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks for the advice guys.

Shortly after we got the car a couple of months back we experienced the dreaded broken plastic window mechanism, and my step son kindly sorted that out for me then. He thinks he might have "adjusted" the switch then. :)