Astra Heater Fan Problem

I've just bought a 1995 N reg Vauxhall Astra 1.4 LS and the Heater/Blower only works on position 4 (max), nothing at all happens on positions 1,2 and 3.

I've tried putting in a new switch but still the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

David

Reply to
Dave

The resistor pack responsible for the lower speeds has burnt out. It'll either be buried in the dash or stuck to the back of the fan motor - don't know about Astras.

Reply to
Scott M

The speed is controlled by a series of resistors. These have failed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds as though the heater motor resistior has gone open circuit. This is a common occurence, and is more than likely caused by the heater motor starting to sieze and draw too much current. The resistor and motor are both located under the black scuttle panel at the back of bonnet, behind the pollen filter.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Thanks everyone - replaced the resistor (£30) on the heater motor and its now working fine - its just a shame I wasted £24 on a new switch (if anyone needs one let me know - snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com).

Thanks again,

David.

Reply to
Dave

You could have spent a fraction of the 24 quid on a simple DVM - that would have showed it wasn't the switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)