MK2 8V GOLF GTI FAN PROBLEMS

I am the proud owner of a 1990 mk2 8v gti and absolutely love the car. However, lately, when I go over a harsh speed bump or even if I am sitting in traffic there is a bit of play in my fan and it starts to grind on the fan housing and sounds terrible, also causing the temperature guage to increase dramatically due to a lack of cooling. The fan seems to cut in and out as and when it should do so any ideas as to what the problem may be and how to fix it would be gratefully accepted. Thank you for your help. Matt

Reply to
madmat3

must be a lot of play if its grinding against the housing, sounds like the bearing has gone in the fan unit, best bet would be a new one from GSF Car Parts.

Reply to
reg

Bearing or not suitably bolted up, or possibly the housing that it fits on has rusted and it's flapping around. Swap the fan, they're cheap.

Reply to
Doki