Mk3 golf .. drivers door lock bust

..key turns in the lock but does nothing, central locking works from passenger side.

Anyone know how to sort this? Or should I just tell the missus to get used to using the other lock :)

Cheers, Adam

Reply to
adamm1977

Might be a simple linkage problem, i.e. disconnected. Are you confident about getting the door panel off and having a look?

Reply to
Hooch

Yup .. fairly handy with that kind of thing, so it's accessable from the inside of the door? Will take it apart this afternoon then I think :)

Adam

Reply to
adamm1977

Once you've got the door panel off, and the polythene liner behind it (if any), it should be obvious what's happening when you turn the key. If a linkage has come off, it should be fairly easy to put right, provided nothing's actually broken.

Reply to
Hooch

Thanks for the advice ... unfortunately the linkage between barrel and lock mech sheared - it's a paddle shaped bit of metal with a hook on the end that's made of the softest metal I have ever experienced : ( Fortunately part is only a quid or so from GSF :)

Cheers! Adam

Reply to
adamm1977

Ah, that would be the pig iron used in various Audi/VW door handles throughout the 1980s. It's a known problem, but I thought the Mark III Golf was somewhat later.

Reply to
Hooch

Would this be described as a "door handle eccentric" ? GSF Part No. 87525H for approx £1.10 ?

I had the same problem with a 97(P) reg Polo.

GSF said they do not do this part for the Polo.

VW sell a "modified" stronger paddle. To fit it you need a "conversion kit" at around £14.00p It consists of a cylinder barrel (no internal springs) The tensioner barrel that connects to the cylinder barrel (no spring) Paddle shaped bit of metal (no spring)

After removing the broken parts, the lock repair work could be done from the outside.

Required two replacement springs, the total cost was not far off £20.

Any other 97P Polo parts been modified ? Apart from the thermostat housing

Alan

Reply to
Alan Semple