Mondeo AirCon

The air con has stopped working on my 2000 W Mondeo. The light comes on in the middle of the blower switch, but there is no disernable change in temp.

Is there anything worth checking (fuses etc) before taking it to the dealer to see if it needs pumping up?

Ta,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Ingersoll

Pop the bonnet and check if the clutch engages. If it does, then chances are its either drained and needs "pumping up" as you say, or the AC radiator has gone.

I had the same problem on my W plate Mondy (granted, an ST200 - but to all intensive purposes, exactly the same). The problem with the radiator is apparently Ford use two metals that dont like each other, and thus corrode.

*Chances* are though - that you simply need a top up. When was it last done? (oh - and you have used the AC regulary even when you dont want it, right ?)
Reply to
Andy Jenkins

the condensor corrodes because the plastic under tray has a strip of foam on it which holds water and is in constant contact with the condensor...if you have it replaced make sure this strip of foam gets pulled 0ff and thrown away

Reply to
Mindwipe

The clutch? I am not familiar with AC units, I didn't realise there was a clutch. Where abouts is this and how do I check it?

I bought this car in May so I don't know when the AC was last pumped up. It was working fine when we bought it, then I first noticed it had stopped working on one of those hot summer days.

I know about using the AC regularly - just hope the previous owner did !

Many thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ingersoll

OK thanks ! Tim