Mondeo exhaust

Hello,
Not knowing the technical term, the "rod" that holds the exhaust back box has rusted and detached from the back box, so I can hear my
exhaust occasionally knocking as I drive around.
You can see it here: http://tinypic.com/r/2r47fc8/9
My question is, do I just get a new back box, or should I get something welded to the existing one to hold it in place a little longer? I'm not an expert on exhausts and from underneath it does not look too bad but is that because heat rises, so the top rusts first?
http://tinypic.com/r/xckuq9/9
What is the best thing to replace it with? I'm not wanting to do boy racing but I've heard some exhausts can improve performance?
Thanks, Stephen
On 13/06/2017 21:18, Stephen wrote:

Take a look in a shop or online and you can find clamp-on exhaust brackets - you may be able to find one that you can use as a replacement on the pipe, right up against the box.
You need to find out the state of your box though. It may not be worth bothering - however my wife's exhaust has been missing one of its mounts for 5 years now, with no problems. I assume it was a faulty weld, as the exhaust has obviously not rusted significantly.
SteveW
On 13/06/2017 21:18, Stephen wrote:

Looks very weldable from here.
On 6/13/2017 10:25 PM, MrCheerful wrote:

With my welding skills, a clamp would be safer!
On 14/06/2017 16:07, newshound wrote:

oddly enough my own runabout Focus has the same fault, but the exhaust is far rustier, the original ford exhaust, now 17 years old! Incredible.
When I can be bothered I will take a look, but in my case there is probably nothing left to weld to, and the box is blowing, and the outer casing came off years ago, so probably it will get a replacement pattern box, you have to cut the old one off, as original systems are all in one, probably the mondeo is the same.