Mondeo exhaust

Hello,

Not knowing the technical term, the "rod" that holds the exhaust back box has rusted and detached from the back box, so I can hear my exhaust occasionally knocking as I drive around.

You can see it here:

My question is, do I just get a new back box, or should I get something welded to the existing one to hold it in place a little longer? I'm not an expert on exhausts and from underneath it does not look too bad but is that because heat rises, so the top rusts first?

What is the best thing to replace it with? I'm not wanting to do boy racing but I've heard some exhausts can improve performance?

Thanks, Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Take a look in a shop or online and you can find clamp-on exhaust brackets - you may be able to find one that you can use as a replacement on the pipe, right up against the box.

You need to find out the state of your box though. It may not be worth bothering - however my wife's exhaust has been missing one of its mounts for 5 years now, with no problems. I assume it was a faulty weld, as the exhaust has obviously not rusted significantly.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Looks very weldable from here.

Reply to
MrCheerful

With my welding skills, a clamp would be safer!

Reply to
newshound

oddly enough my own runabout Focus has the same fault, but the exhaust is far rustier, the original ford exhaust, now 17 years old! Incredible.

When I can be bothered I will take a look, but in my case there is probably nothing left to weld to, and the box is blowing, and the outer casing came off years ago, so probably it will get a replacement pattern box, you have to cut the old one off, as original systems are all in one, probably the mondeo is the same.

Reply to
MrCheerful